Stonebridge councillor backs boxing match aimed to deter youth crime
- Credit: Archant
A Stonebridge councillor joined forces with a Wembley charity to host a boxing event to deter young people from crime.
Councillor Zaffar Van Kalwala and Careys Foundation helped organise the London Elite Boxing Championship on Thursday in Harrow to encourage people to stay away from gangs and knife crime.
The young pugilists taking part also helped raise funds for grassroots boxing which aims to inspire more young boys and girls to take part in the sport.
The London Boxing tournament is one of the oldest and most prestigious sporting events for young people which dates back to the 1800s.
Previous winners have included a host of British names including Frank Bruno, Anthony Joshua and Nicola Adams.
You may also want to watch:
This year’s event saw seven pulsating bouts with the winners proceeding onto the national championships.
Brent’s Mason Smith is one of the favourites to take a national title after being selected by Team GB for the 2020 Tokyo Olympic trials.
- 1 Top Boy actor Bashy returns to Harlesden school to surprise pupils
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Born and bred Brent residents now priced out of £6.5m homes
- 4 'They think I'm a cyborg' says maths supremo as Sparx programme gifted to six Brent schools
- 5 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 6 Queen's Park nursery forced to close following damning Ofsted report
- 7 15 questions to quiz how well you know Brent
- 8 The Chase's Dark Destroyer makes Covid vaccine film with Brent Council
- 9 QPR determined to remain among Championship front-runners
- 10 Boys, 14, charged with assaulting community officer
Cllr Van Kalwala said: “This was a fantastic event which showed young people at their best. I’m so proud of all their hard work and commitment and I truly believe they will go on to achieve great things for London and Great Britain.”
Denis Deacy, Carey Group managing director added: “Careys Foundation was delighted to sponsor the London Elite Boxing Championship and be
part of an event that is steeped in history. Congratulations to all the winners on the night.”