Stonebridge councillor backs boxing match aimed to deter youth crime
- Credit: Archant
A Stonebridge councillor joined forces with a Wembley charity to host a boxing event to deter young people from crime.
Councillor Zaffar Van Kalwala and Careys Foundation helped organise the London Elite Boxing Championship on Thursday in Harrow to encourage people to stay away from gangs and knife crime.
The young pugilists taking part also helped raise funds for grassroots boxing which aims to inspire more young boys and girls to take part in the sport.
The London Boxing tournament is one of the oldest and most prestigious sporting events for young people which dates back to the 1800s.
Previous winners have included a host of British names including Frank Bruno, Anthony Joshua and Nicola Adams.
This year’s event saw seven pulsating bouts with the winners proceeding onto the national championships.
Brent’s Mason Smith is one of the favourites to take a national title after being selected by Team GB for the 2020 Tokyo Olympic trials.
- 1 Victim speaks out after Hampstead machete robbery
- 2 'Predator' acted as masseur to assault women
- 3 Dramatic Dieng equaliser sums up 'crazy game' for QPR boss Beale
- 4 Goalkeeper Dieng nets late equaliser to save QPR at Sunderland
- 5 Brent tenant 'distressed' at housing waiting list change
- 6 Man shot in his heart outside Queen's Park flats named
- 7 Coldplay at Wembley Stadium: Setlist and photos
- 8 New Kilburn mural to highlight borough's cultural heritage
- 9 Harlesden bar's licence suspended following fights and noise
- 10 London among areas where drought is declared
Cllr Van Kalwala said: “This was a fantastic event which showed young people at their best. I’m so proud of all their hard work and commitment and I truly believe they will go on to achieve great things for London and Great Britain.”
Denis Deacy, Carey Group managing director added: “Careys Foundation was delighted to sponsor the London Elite Boxing Championship and be
part of an event that is steeped in history. Congratulations to all the winners on the night.”