Stonebridge Boxing Club used by James DeGale, Amir Khan and Anthony Joshua to host fundraising show for the public tomorrow
- Credit: Archant
A boxing club in Stonebridge will be hosting a special show for the public tomorrow to raise funds to buy much needed equipment.
Stonebridge Boxing Club which is based in Kassinga House, Winchelsea Road, is holding its first boxing show in almost 20 years.
The event, which is support by BBC’s Children in Need and Brent Healthwatch, will see 36 boxers aged 11 plus display their skills across 18 bouts.
The club was founded in 2010 and works with more than 100 young people to stop them becoming involved with gangs and criminality.
It also encourages young people to lead better and healthier lifestyles. The club faced closure due to financial difficulties until a sponsor came forward following an appeal in the Brent & Kilburn Times.
Marine Cisse, a 27-year-old fighter from Queens Park, said: “I’m very excited about competing on my first boxing show. We have all trained very hard and I’m delighted that I will have my family and friends there to cheer me on”.
Famous sportmen who have trained at the club include James DeGale, Audley Harrison, Amir Khan and Anthony Joshua.
- 1 Victim speaks out after Hampstead machete robbery
- 2 'Predator' acted as masseur to assault women
- 3 Brent tenant 'distressed' at housing waiting list change
- 4 Dramatic Dieng equaliser sums up 'crazy game' for QPR boss Beale
- 5 Man shot in his heart outside Queen's Park flats named
- 6 New Kilburn mural to highlight borough's cultural heritage
- 7 Harlesden bar's licence suspended following fights and noise
- 8 Man due in court over Wembley murder
- 9 'Dangerous' uni student jailed for 38 years for 'random' knife attacks
- 10 Party patrols return as barber’s rave shut down
Cllr Zaffar Van Kalwala, Labour councillor for Stonebridge, added: “I’m delighted that Stonebridge is organising this great event.
“It will give our young people a fantastic opportunity to show their skills and talents in front of the home crowd.”
The fighters will touch gloves at 3pm and tickets priced at £10 for adults and £5 for under-16s are available at the door.
For more information about the club visit stonebridgeboxingclub.org.