Rangel nets brace as QPR draw at Stoke

Angel Rangel opened the scoring for Queens Park Rangers at Stoke City with his first goal for the cl

Angel Rangel opened the scoring for Queens Park Rangers at Stoke City with his first goal for the club (pic: George Phillipou/TGS Photo) - Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo

Sky Bet Championship: Stoke City (Berahino 21, Allen 61) Queens Park Rangers 2 (Rangel 7, 78)

Angel Rangel scored a brace for Queens Park Rangers as they earned a 2-2 draw at Stoke City in the Sky Bet Championship

The Rs enjoyed a dream start through an early goal from Angel Rangel, but the Potters pegged the visitors back midway through the half to ensure the teams went into the interval level at 1-1.

The west Londoners then fell behind midway through the second half, before Rangel’s second of the match secured a share of the spoils.

QPR boss Steve McClaren was forced into one change from the win over Brentford before the international break, with the on-loan Geoff Cameron unable to face his parent club.

You may also want to watch:

Cameron’s enforced absence saw Jordan Cousins make his first start since the home draw against Derby County on October 6.

The Rs got off to a flyer in the Potteries, with defender Rangel heading the visitors ahead in the seventh minute.

Most Read

An initial break down the right for the west Londoners looked to have been wasted when a Luke Freeman cross went through the box.

Ebere Eze, however, retrieved the ball on the left, before crossing to the back post where Rangel powerfully nodded past Jack Butland to put McClaren’s men ahead.

The Loftus Road club went close to doubling their lead 10 minutes later when Nahki Wells brilliantly chested down a long ball forward by Toni Leistner, but dragged his resulting effort from 18 yards wide of the far post.

It was a miss that would prove costly, with Stoke levelling up through Saido Berahino in the 21st minute.

A cross from the right by Tom Ince was headed back across goal by James McClean, but Joe Allen could not get the ball over the line under pressure from Jake Bidwell.

However, Berahino was left unmarked to instead prod home from a matter of inches to restore parity for Gary Rowett’s team.

The QPR defence was being put under plenty of pressure by the Potters, who were unfortunate not to take the lead five minutes later when McClean’s header from a corner smacked against the post, before Joe Lumley gratefully grasped the ball.

From then on, City continued to look the more dangerous team, but without every really threatening Lumley in the away goal.

With neither side creating much, it ensured they would head down the tunnel level at 1-1.

It was the west Londoners who started the second period the stronger, though were unable to fashion any real openings of note.

Berahino, meanwhile, went close to a second for Stoke in the 60th minute, but fired into the side netting after being expertly found in the box by Clucas.

That miss appeared to give the Potters added impetus as they took the lead less than a minute later.

Another cross from the right was headed back across goal again from McClean, this time finding Joe Allen who fired home on the volley from six yards.

QPR nearly conceded a third in the 67th minute, but mercifully Ashley Williams headed over at the back post after Tom Edwards found him with a free-kick.

The Potters thought they had their third in the 77th minute when Edwards’ cross was to the middle of the box was turned home by Ince, only for the linesman to flag for offside.

It was a let-off that the Rs took full advantage of as they drew level with Rangel’s second the match a minute later.

A delightful through ball from Eze found the Spaniard in acres of space in the box, with Rangel slamming past Butland before celebrating with a samba in front of the away end.

Stoke thought they had won the game in the final minute when former QPR forward Peter Crouch, on as a substitute, headed home a Berahino cross, but were again thwarted by the linesman flagging for offside.

City gave it their all in search of a winner in stoppage time, but were unable to do so as the Rs held on for a point.

QPR will now look to make it three league games unbeaten when they visit Rotherham United on Tuesday night.

Stoke (4-2-3-1): Butland; Edwards, Williams, Shawcross, Martins Indi; Woods, Allen; Clucas (Bojan 71) Ince (Crouch 84), McClean (Afobe 81); Berahino.

Subs: Federici (GK), Diouf, Martina, Fletcher.

QPR (4-4-1-1): Lumley; Rangel, Leistner, Lynch, Bidwell; Wszolek (Hemed 74), Luongo, Cousins, Freeman; Eze (Hall 90+1); Wells (Smith 88).

Subs: Ingram (GK), Furlong, Scowen, Osayi-Samuel.

Referee: Andy Davies.

Attendance: 24,291 (including 1,056 QPR fans).

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter