Special event to mark 50th anniversary of QPR’s greatest-ever triumph
- Credit: BPI / Jed Leicester
QPR will celebrate their greatest-ever triumph with a special event during the Sky Bet Championship clash with Cardiff City this Saturday.
This year marks 50 year since their famous 1967 League Cup victory and to mark the occassion they have released a special commemorative kit which they will wear in the game with the Bluebirds.
And as part of the celebrations stars from that side will be at the game and introduced to the crowd at half-time.
The victory over West Bromwich Albion on March 4, 1967, saw then third division Rangers come from 2-0 down to beat top-flight West Bromwich Albion, and in doing so became the first winners of the trophy.
The strictly limited edition adult shirts will be sold on a first-come, first-served basis from the QPR Superstore on Saturday morning from 9am.
You may also want to watch:
Only 500 have been produced and they will cost £66.67.
Fifty per-cent of the profits from the sales will be donated to The Forever R’s Club, the club’s newly-formed ex-players’ association, funding further activities and supporting our former players when required.
- 1 Man arrested following shooting in Kingsbury
- 2 Teen charged with killing 21-year-old man in Brent Cross
- 3 London elections 2021 live: Latest Brent results as they come in
- 4 Wembley attacker draws large knife after being chased by victims
- 5 Two men charged after police find 'gun, cash and drugs' in Brent Cross flat
- 6 Stop and search order placed on parts of Brent due to 'gang tensions'
- 7 Man appears in court charged with the murder of Michael Fadayomi in Willesden
- 8 Willesden murder investigation: 'Horrified onlookers' watched on as man stabbed in High Road
- 9 Man, 40, stabbed to death in Willesden
- 10 Police officer suffers leg injury after BMW stopped during 'routine patrol'
Mark Lazarus, the scorer of QPR’s winning goal in the final, said: “I think it’s a really lovely touch from the club.
“It’s a perfect way to embrace the past in the present day, bringing back some fabulous memories for those of us who are lucky enough to remember the final and also educating those supporters who weren’t around at the time.
“The fact that 50 per-cent of the profits go back into The Forever R’s Club is great too, and shows the club’s commitment to its former players, which has gone from strength-to-strength in recent years.”
Lazarus will be joined by team-mates Ian and Roger Morgan, Tony Hazell and Frank Sibley while family members of Peter Springett, Jim Langley and Mike Keen, sadly no longer with us, will also be present as guests of the club.
Jim Gregory (then chairman) and Alec Stock (then manager) will also be honoured as part of our celebrations.
QPR ambassador Andy Sinton told www.qpr.co.uk: “The 1967 League Cup win is one of the most historic moments in our club’s history, and it is only right that we do all we can to honour the achievement on the 50th anniversary.
“These players have put their mark on the club, and I am sure the QPR fans will welcome the opportunity to show the players, and the families of the players no longer with us, just how much they are appreciated and respected.
“It is also a fitting opportunity for us all to pay homage to the impact Jim Gregory and Alec Stock had on QPR.”