South Kilburn says goodbye to two tower blocks as part of £660m regeneration project
- Credit: Archant
The skyline in South Kilburn is about to change with the demolition of two tower blocks as part of a £660million regeneration project.
Bronte and Fielding House will be replaced with 229 flats, 103 affordable, with facades inspired by the area’s architecture and a courtyard of landscaped gardens.
The homes will also have a pedestrian link to Kilburn Park Road.
The demolition work, which forms the second phase of the project across the estate, started yesterday.
Cllr George Crane, Brent Council’s lead member for regeneration and major projects, said: “Brent’s regeneration scheme is one of the largest and most successful in London at replacing poor quality housing whilst offering existing residents the opportunity to remain in the area.
You may also want to watch:
“The demolition of these two tower blocks and their replacement with high quality family housing is a major milestone for the area.”
Network Housing Group has been awarded the contract for the South Kilburn master plan which will create 2,400 homes, of which around 1,200 will be made available to existing South Kilburn residents through Brent Council and its development partners. An array of new amenities, including a new larger urban park, a primary school, health facilities and a sustainable energy network will also be created.
- 1 Derelict land in Kenton transformed by community bio diversity project
- 2 QPR 'didn't do enough to win the game' in Peterborough defeat
- 3 Doctor fears another covid lockdown as vaccine take up 'wanes'
- 4 Free #BuyBrent app launched with exclusive shop local discounts
- 5 Women have access to free period packs in six Brent locations
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 8 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 9 Two schoolboys arrested after community officer 'assaulted' in Wembley
- 10 Top Boy actor Bashy returns to Harlesden school to surprise pupils