South Kilburn block of flats named after dedicated resident
Merle Court has been named after Merle Barriteau
A stalwart of the South Kilburn community for more than 40 years has officially unveiled a new residential block named in her honour.
Merle Court has been named after Merle Barriteau in recognition of her tireless community work.
The new block, which has been built by Catalyst Housing, in partnership with Willmott Dixon and Brent Council, will provide 50 new homes for residents and forms part of the South Kilburn regeneration project.
Mrs Barriteau is well known in the community not just as a friendly face but also for her famous cooking skills.
You may also want to watch:
She set-up a small kitchen in at The Granville Centre, in Granville Road, to provide tasty affordable meals for youngsters and has also helped set up festivals and community days.
Mrs Barriteau said “I am so proud that my work will be recognised in a building named after me. I see generations of people now in their 30s, whom I have seen growing up and who have their own children. We have that bond and when I see them we greet and hug.
- 1 Series of sexual assaults reported in Dollis Hill
- 2 Man stabbed stranger to death in cemetery as public tried to intervene
- 3 Footage released of Neasden shooting to help catch 'dangerous offender'
- 4 Call for teams for football tournament in memory of Josh Hanson
- 5 Kensal Rise Triathlon team raises £130,800 for local charities
- 6 Repair Shop's Jay Blades hosts bingo for older Londoners
- 7 Neasden neighbours' petition against parking and fines plan
- 8 QPR boss Warburton 'frustrated' with defeat away to Bournemouth
- 9 'Erratic, violent' man given indefinite hospital order for killing 'friendly' neighbour in Wembley
- 10 Police looking for man in Wembley after 'threats to kill'
“The area is changing a lot for the better. There are a lot of hopeful signs for the future and I’m hoping and praying that South Kilburn is going to get better and better.”
Rod Cahill, Catalyst Housing chief executive said: “We are proud to be part of the regeneration of South Kilburn and it is great to be able to recognise the work of local people such as Merle. Working with the community is going to be a vital part of our work on this regeneration. Our charitable arm Catalyst Gateway will actively support local people with community activities.”