Smokers urged to properly stub out cigarettes following Kilburn fire
PUBLISHED: 08:04 30 June 2020
People are being urged to stub out their cigarettes properly following a blaze in Kilburn.
Fire crews were called to a block of flats in Mapesbury Road on June 25.
Around 40 people left the building before the Brigade arrived.
A small part of a garage roof on the ground floor was damaged by fire.
You may also want to watch:
No-one was injured.
The Brigade’s fire investigators believe the fire was caused by the unsafe disposal of a cigarette.
Station Commander Karl Smith said: “On arrival crews were faced with heavy smoke and discovered a small fire in the roof of a garage.
“Fires caused by smoking materials including cigarettes, roll-ups, cigars and pipes, result in more deaths than any other type of fire. Stub cigarettes out properly and always dispose of them carefully.
“Make sure smoking materials are cold before emptying ashtrays.
“Preferably wet stubs before throwing them into a bin.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.