Smoke alarm saves elderly man’s life after a fire rips through his Willesden home
Pensioner alerted to blaze in his Chaplin Road home early this morning
A man in his 70s was rushed to hospital following a house fire in Willesden in the early hours of this morning ( Tuesday).
The fire, believed to be caused by a match thrown into a wicker bin, ripped through a property in Chaplin Road, at around 2.30am.
Two fire engines and ten fire fighters were called to the scene where the man was rescued from a ground floor bedroom before being taken to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation and burns.
Another man, managed to escape from an attic room after he was alerted by smoke alarms then alerted fire-fighters to the blaze.
You may also want to watch:
Lee Harris, crew manager at Willesden fire station said: “We had previously fitted three smoke alarms inside the house, which alerted the man who was up in the attic to the blaze.
“Had we not fitted the smoke alarms there’s a strong chance he might not have woken up until it was too late.
- 1 Jailed: Dollis Hill man who had submachine gun, over £200k cash and drugs
- 2 Boyfriend of murder victim 'fell to knees' at discovering body in Kingsbury
- 3 Football fan in serious condition after falling from Wembley stand
- 4 Data shows Delta is fast-becoming Brent's dominant Covid-strain
- 5 Two arrests after man shot and teenager stabbed in Queen's Park
- 6 Brent Chinese gets green light for alcohol delivery despite concerns
- 7 Man accused of sisters' double murder was 'confused' upon arrest
- 8 Euro 2020: Dykes loses opener as Niko Hamalainen seals win with Finland
- 9 Man arrested after Harlesden stabbing
- 10 Wembley business man wins £120,000 National Lottery prize
“If you’ve not got a smoke alarm, I’d urge you to get one today it might end up saving your life.”
A spokesperson for the London Fire Brigade added: “It’s vital you ensure matches are completely out before you dispose of them. If in doubt, run them under a tap to ensure there’s no risk of them starting a fire.”