SIX generations of one family celebrate Stonebridge great-great-great grandmother’s 100th birthday
- Credit: Damion Boyd/dvbfoto.co.uk)
SIX generations of one family gathered in Dollis Hill to celebrate their great-great-great grandmother’s 100th birthday.
Mistress ‘Mama’ Mary Thomas was seated upon a throne until 2am on Thursday night surrounded by dozens of her 93 family members at the Learie Constantine Centre, in Dudden Hill Lane.
Mrs Thomas, who lives in Stonebridge Park, has five living children, 25 grandchildren, 41 great-grandchildren, 20 great-great grandchildren and young Kenya and Keya completing the brood.
Neighbours living in her block threw her a surprise party on
February 14, her birthday, and she dressed up to celebrate with family and friends the following evening demanding she stay until it finished at 2am.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “I’m glad to live to see 100, I love it. There was a party last night, my friends gave me a good party and I’m here now. I have wonderful children, grand and great and they love me and I love them.”
She added: “I pray to God all the time. I like to sing and pray.
- 1 Mum's 'desperate' fundraiser as 15 families face eviction in Stonebridge
- 2 'No light at the end of the tunnel' says Northwick Park surgeon on operation backlogs
- 3 Election candidate 'should be disqualified' for lockdown visit, say opposition
- 4 Pictures: Snow arrives covering Gladstone Park and Neasden Temple
- 5 Neasden man charged with murder and knife attacks
- 6 Estate agents volunteer at Wembley Park's Covid vaccine centre
- 7 Brent investigating implications of traffic measures court ruling
- 8 Health chief praises staff 'flying' across Brent and Camden to vaccinate housebound residents
- 9 Fundraiser launched after beloved mum found collapsed in Barham Park dies
- 10 Wembley drug dealer jailed for biting, scratching and pushing police
“I don’t drink liquor, sometimes a little Guinness, that is all.”
The matriarch moved to Brent from Jamaica 25 years ago after her husband and childhood sweetheart Charlie Thomas passed away, aged 79.
She had 12 children, four of whom died in infancy, and three daughters who died more recently.
They were remembered at the feast as the family gave speeches paying tribute to their Mama.
Granddaughter Donette Wisdom said her grandmother was raised by her grandmother after her parents left for Cuba when she was a baby.
She added: “She never had much of a family growing up so she made a strong family.
“All her children and grandchildren passed through her hands.
“Even now, she lives on her own and is still with it.
“She’s always been strong. She still does all her own cooking, all her own cleaning.”
Daughter Ivylyn Thomas, 63, said: “It’s unbelievable. She keeps good health, she has no sickness, she doesn’t have heart problems, diabetes or cancer. She raised her children well so everyone could get qualified and help themselves.
“She is amazing.”
Great-great granddaughter Paige O’Brien, 10, added: “It’s good because she’s three digits now and gets a letter from the Queen.”