School's charity drive
By Alex Wellman A religious group is launching their support for a charitable organisation with a drive for bone marrow donors. BAPS Swaminarayan Sanstha, the UK arm of an international Hindu organisation, has given its backing to The Anthony Nolan Trust
By Alex Wellman
A relisgious group is launching their support for a charitable organisation with a drive for bone marrow donors.
BAPS Swaminarayan Sanstha, the UK arm of an international Hindu organisation, has given its backing to The Anthony Nolan Trust at its forthcoming summer fair.
There are currently 16,000 people worldwide in need of a bone marrow transplant, but because individual genetic makeup is so varied, the chance of finding a suitable donor can be slim.
You may also want to watch:
Matches are usually found from within the same ethnic community as the patient but only four per cent of donors on the register are from an Asian background.
The Swaminarayan School in Brentfield Road, Neasden, will host the fair on Saturday July 4 and Sunday July 5 from 1pm to 9pm each day.
- 1 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 2 Tapas restaurant The Star opens in Willesden Green with free parties
- 3 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 4 Application submitted to turn 'bed bug' hotel in Harlesden into HMO
- 5 Wembley pensioner, 71, off to university with EuroMillions win
- 6 Man who murdered Kilburn waiter jailed
- 7 Join the Craic in Cricklewood as four-day music festival returns to London
- 8 'Unbelievably awful’ - North London MPs react to David Amess stabbing
- 9 Mayhew staff cull risk as animal charity is 'restructured'
- 10 Noise abatement notice served against 'silent disco'
A stall encouraging people to sign up will be at the fair with more leaflets and for more information visit www.anthonynolan.org.uk