Sarah Teather MP joins Wembley children as they walk to school as part of national campaign
Crusade urges youngsters to put their best foot forward
A Brent MP joined the patter of tiny feet that filled the air in Wembley as part of a national campaign promoting walking among schoolchildren.
Pupils from St Joseph’s Junior School, in Chatsworth Avenue, were joined by Sarah Teather, for the Walk once a Week campaign (Wow) as they travelled to school by foot this morning.
The campaign, which encourages children to walk to school at least once a week is organised by national charity Living Streets.
The Minister for Children and Families and Lib Dem MP for Brent Central joined the children on the Harrow Road this morning before marching down Chatsworth Avenue to the school.
She explained the benefits of the scheme for children and encouraged more to do the same.
She said: “It’s important that, when it’s safe to do so, more children are encouraged to walk to school.
- 1 Two dead in Maida Vale: Woman stabbed and man 'struck by vehicle'
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of murder following Maida Vale deaths
- 3 'London’s smallest bus lane' earns Harrow Council £440,000
- 4 Teenager killed in Stonebridge after collision with a car
- 5 'London is lagging behind – protect yourself and others from Covid'
- 6 'Lucky escape': Four flee Wembley house fire where smoke alarms weren't working
- 7 Brent cycling group calls to improve rather than remove LTNs
- 8 Teenager grabbed and pulled towards car in broad daylight
- 9 Women attacked on way home from night out in Wembley
- 10 Brent LTN removal set to be financed from 'existing council budgets'
“Not only is it a great way to start the day and catch-up with friends, it’s good for you too!”
She added: “I’m delighted to be joining the pupils of St Joseph’s school.”
The Walk to School Campaign encourages over 1.6 million children to walk to school every year and since last year the scheme has seen 500 new schools take part.
Children who walk all or part of their journey to school at least once a week for a month are given a collectable badge
For more information visit www.walktoschool.org.uk