Ryan Manning extends Queens Park Rangers contract to 2020
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Midfielder agrees extension after impressive breakthrough season for QPR
Queens Park Rangers midfielder Ryan Manning has extended his contract with the Championship club until the summer of 2020.
The 21-year-old broke into the Rs first team in the second half of last season and became a regular fixture in the starting XI under boss Ian Holloway.
Manning’s form since breaking into the squad had already seen him pen one extension in 2017, agreeing a new two-and-a-half year contract in January.
Just six months later, though, the Irishman has agreed another extension, adding another year to his current deal.
And Manning is hopeful of what he can achieve with the west Londoners over the course of his deal.
“I am absolutely delighted to have signed an extension,” Manning told the club website.
- 1 QPR looking to strengthen squad in January transfer window
- 2 ‘Black girls can game too’: Wembley woman wants to inspire young girls with gaming videos
- 3 Wembley: Anger as council 'bullies' opposition over library demolition
- 4 New Willesden kebab shop promises 40 jobs to locals
- 5 Guilty: Man killed father who defended son from knife attack in Willesden
- 6 Primary school pupils approached by 'man in a van' in attempted abduction
- 7 Jailed: Brent gangsters who shot a man in his stomach at close range
- 8 Parents lobby for improved road safety on Harrow Road
- 9 Drunk Euro 2020 football fan 'saved from Wembley fall by Brent Council employee'
- 10 Bid for amazing prizes to support Queen's Park and Kensal charities
“It’s great reassurance for me. Hopefully, in the next three years, we can build something, start finishing at the right end of the table, and then get back to the Premier League.
“It’s been seven months since I made my debut, and it’s a crazy story really when you think about it.
“To come from Ireland and playing in the League of Ireland to playing regularly in the Championship like I was last season, it’s something I am definitely proud of.
“All the staff here have been great – the gaffer, Flem (Curtis Fleming), Birchy (Marc Bircham).
“They gave me the opportunity and I’m just glad I was able to prove to them that what they saw in me was true.
“I want to keep pushing on. I am working towards my next contract now, that’s the way I look at it. Helping out the team and being of value to the squad is paramount.”
Adding an extra year to Manning’s contract could prove to be a shrewd move from Rs boss Holloway.
Since breaking into the first team, the 21-year-old has won rave reviews for his performances and earlier this year was linked with a move to the Premier League.
By adding an extra year to his contract, Holloway has increased Manning’s value, which may well deter top-flight clubs for the time being.
The Rs boss will also hope that it gives Manning the added security to go out and impress next season, with the Irishman hoping to be a leading light for the west Londoners in the upcoming season as they look to move up the Championship table.