Rob Green’s late error costs QPR as Millwall take a point

Charlie Austin

Charlie Austin - Credit: EMPICS Sport

Championship: QPR 1 Millwall 1

Rob Green’s late error handed Millwall a point in QPR’s final home game of the season on Saturday.

Green palmed Scott Malone’s injury-time shot into his own net, giving the Lions a share of the spoils after Charlie Austin had put QPR ahead.

Austin scored from the spot with 12 minutes remaining after a handball in the area by Millwall’s Simeon Jackson.

The point ensures that Rangers are now certain to finish fourth in the Championship. That will give them home advantage in the second leg of their play-off semi-final, against either Reading or Wigan Athletic later this month.

Millwall almost took the lead with the first attacking move of the game, as Owen Garvan broke away down the left and crossed for Stefan Maierhofer who was unmarked at the far post. Maierhofer, however, sent his downward header wide from three yards out.

The visitors settled the quicker of the two sides, as midfielder Lee Martin met another dangerous cross into the penalty area with a volley that flew wide. Scott Malone also tried his luck with a fierce volley from 25 yards that arrowed over Rob Green’s crossbar.

Most Read

Rangers were struggling to seriously test Millwall keeper David Forde. Ravel Morrison led one quick break upfield, but chose to shoot instead of play in Charlie Austin, and the midfielder’s effort was blocked on the edge of the area. Austin had a sight of goal shortly afterwards after good work by Morrison, but his shot was blocked for a corner.

Forde was finally called into action on 31 minutes, as Niko Kranjcar drove into the area from wide on the left and fired in a shot which the keeper pushed out. Austin poked the rebound towards goal but Forde recovered well to smother the loose ball.

The game opened up towards half-time as both sides went close. Maierhofer drilled in a low shot which Rob Green saved with his legs at the near post. At the other end, Benayoun crossed for Morrison who seemed certain to score, but Forde tipped his header over the bar.

Martyn Woolford then found himself clear on Green’s goal, but dragged his shot wide.

Barton volleyed wide, while Tom Carroll and Morrison both shot over the bar from long range as QPR began the second half with a period of pressure. Again, though, Redknapp’s side were failing to match promising build-up with efforts on target.

Austin cut a frustrated figure up front at times, but the striker had a golden chance to score his second goal in two games when he met Simpson’s high, hanging cross. He missed the target, however, heading wide at the far post. Millwall were a threat on the break, substitute Simeon Jackson running the length of the pitch before wasting the chance with a shot into the stand.

Jackson was the culpable as QPR opened the scoring. The Millwall forward handled inside the area, and Austin stepped up to send Forde the wrong way from the penalty spot.

Austin was then substituted for Kevin Doyle, leaving the pitch to a standing ovation. Moments later, Millwall almost drew level as Williams curled a free-kick against the bar.

And the Lions did draw level in stoppage time, as Malone tried his luck with a shot that Green mis-judged, pushing the ball into the corner of the net.

QPR: Green, Simpson, Onuoha, Dunne, Hill, Carroll, Benayoun, Barton, Kranjcar, Morrison, Austin. Subs: Yun, Doyle, Hughes, Henry, Hoilett, Zamora Murphy.