Residents vow Cricklewood Festival will not be their last
- Credit: Archant
Residents gathered in their thousands for the annual Cricklewood Festival but as most enjoyed music and mingling, those opposed to plans to sell off community green space vowed they would “lie down in front of bulldozers” to ensure this year’s festival would not be their last.
Nearly 3,000 residents enjoyed fresh dishes from market stalls, bingo, and headline performances by King’s Parade, the Divas and the Zing Zong All Stars as well as dances from Hampstead School and songs from Mora Primary School choir on the green space outside of B&Q on Cricklewood Lane.
But as the sun shone on the third annual Cricklewood Festival, residents waved banners and passed round petitions on the green space outside B&Q amid growing concern at Barnet Council’s plans to sell off the site to a micro-property developer.
Mapesbury ward councillor Lia Colacicco, who launched a petition against the plans said: “It’s encouraging how many people came down and how many have signed the petition on Change.org so far.
“I will be lying down in front of the bulldozers because I believe that space should be retained for public use as it was given to us for that purpose.”
The petition against plans to allow developer Pocket to build 42 affordable micro flats and ground-floor shops on the plot has gained 444 petitions since it launched last month.
Danny Maher who organized the Festival as part of the Cricklewood town team said: “The festival went really well, the weather was great and we all enjoyed the music, singing, dancing and stalls.
- 1 Victim speaks out after Hampstead machete robbery
- 2 'Predator' acted as masseur to assault women
- 3 Dramatic Dieng equaliser sums up 'crazy game' for QPR boss Beale
- 4 Goalkeeper Dieng nets late equaliser to save QPR at Sunderland
- 5 Brent tenant 'distressed' at housing waiting list change
- 6 Man shot in his heart outside Queen's Park flats named
- 7 Coldplay at Wembley Stadium: Setlist and photos
- 8 New Kilburn mural to highlight borough's cultural heritage
- 9 Harlesden bar's licence suspended following fights and noise
- 10 London among areas where drought is declared
“There can’t be a feeling that this is the last festival- we’ll do our best to make sure it doesn’t happen.”
After the Times reported earlier this month that Barnet Council’s Assets, Regeneration and Growth Committee would meet on September 7 to consider the proposals councillors dropped the plans from the meeting to allow time for further reflection.
A spokesman for Barnet Council said: “The Chairman of the committee has indicated that he intends to withdraw the item regarding the land by B&Q at Cricklewood to allow more time for the proposals to be considered”
It is now hoped the plans will be discussed at a meeting of the Assets, Regeneration and Growth Committee due to take place in November.
To view the Change.org petition click here.