Redknapp wants West Brom hitman
- Credit: EMPICS Sport
Transfer news: Harry Redknapp has revealed he is interested in signing West Brom striker Peter Odemwingie and insists QPR must still add to their squad in the January transfer window despite the Premier League strugglers taking four points from their last two home games.
Rangers eked out a 0-0 draw against Tottenham yesterday, following a vital 1-0 victory against West London neighbours Chelsea.
In his first match against his former side since getting sacked by the White Hart Lane outfit in the summer Redknapp’s new side keep Spurs’ flying wingers Gareth Bale and Aaron Lennon quiet.
They had their chances to snatch a goal themselves but couldn’t convert and though the manager hailed the work rate of Shaun Wright-Phillips and Jamie Mackie, while Adel Taarabt was the chief architect of their forward play, the manager conceded he has to bolster his attacking options.
When asked if recent form meant he wouldn’t need to find new recruits, the 65-year-old said: “I think if you think that is going to happen we would have a rude awakening at the end of the year.
“We need to strengthen the squad, we are short in certain areas. When there are games you have to open up and try and win we have to try and improve for sure.
“When there are games that you’ve really got to open up and try to win then we do need to improve, for sure.
- 1 Call for investment in 'joke' Harlesden park
- 2 'Extremely dangerous' men convicted after girl kidnapped and raped
- 3 'Strictest' headteacher to be documentary subject
- 4 Police officer sacked after she 'failed' woman murdered by husband
- 5 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 6 Labour accused of 'power grab' move over committee appointments
- 7 Second man charged with fatal stabbing of Emmanuel Odunlami
- 8 Northwick Park NHS Trust still 'requires improvement'
- 9 TfL consultation opens on plans to extend ULEZ into Greater London
- 10 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
“The attacking options we need to improve.”
With reports that the Hoops already had a bid for Odemwingie rejected Redknapp confirmed the Nigerian is a player he is looking at.
He said: “We made an enquiry for Odemwingie, yeah.
“I don’t know whether [chief executive] Phillip Beard has put an offer in but he was a player we spoke about and he was a player I was interested in.
“There is every chance we have made an offer but I haven’t spoken to him [Beard] but there is every chance an offer could have gone in.”