Redknapp impressed with QPR youngster Hitchcock
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
QPR manager Harry Redknapp has hinted he may give young striker Tom Hitchcock a spell of first-team football this season.
Twenty-year-old Hitchcock, son of former Chelsea goalkeeper and QPR coach Kevin, scored the winner on his debut as his side defeated Ipswich Town 1-0 at Loftus Road last weekend.
Hitchcock signed for Rangers in March 2012, and was loaned out to Bristol Rovers last season, making 17 appearances and scoring three goals.
But after Hitchcock’s late strike against Ipswich, Redknapp admitted he is in no rush to send the forward out on another loan. He said: “We’ll see how he goes. He’s a young player so we’ll see what the next week or two brings.
“If he’s not in the side and we loan him out again then hopefully he’ll score some goals, but if he comes and keeps scoring goals then we’ll keep him here.
You may also want to watch:
“It was great for him to score, he’s a ‘Johnny on the spot’, a little goal-scorer. He followed the ball in [against Ipswich] and showed goal-scorer’s instincts. It was good for him.”
- 1 Diamond thief prepared for £4.2m heist at Cricklewood hotel
- 2 Teenager jailed for murder of Jamalie Maleek in Northwick Park
- 3 View from the community - 'Could another riot happen?'
- 4 More images released after 'violence and disorder' at Euro 2020 final at Wembley
- 5 Drunk and off-duty Met officer sentenced after assaulting man
- 6 Former Brent school boy Tom Dean beats Covid to win Gold at the Tokyo Olympics
- 7 Willesden Green residents oppose mosque's housing block application
- 8 Letter on banning wearing of religious symbols
- 9 Tokyo Olympics: Brondesbury Park pupils wish swimmer Tom Dean luck
- 10 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield