Redknapp impressed with QPR youngster Hitchcock
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
QPR manager Harry Redknapp has hinted he may give young striker Tom Hitchcock a spell of first-team football this season.
Twenty-year-old Hitchcock, son of former Chelsea goalkeeper and QPR coach Kevin, scored the winner on his debut as his side defeated Ipswich Town 1-0 at Loftus Road last weekend.
Hitchcock signed for Rangers in March 2012, and was loaned out to Bristol Rovers last season, making 17 appearances and scoring three goals.
But after Hitchcock’s late strike against Ipswich, Redknapp admitted he is in no rush to send the forward out on another loan. He said: “We’ll see how he goes. He’s a young player so we’ll see what the next week or two brings.
“If he’s not in the side and we loan him out again then hopefully he’ll score some goals, but if he comes and keeps scoring goals then we’ll keep him here.
You may also want to watch:
“It was great for him to score, he’s a ‘Johnny on the spot’, a little goal-scorer. He followed the ball in [against Ipswich] and showed goal-scorer’s instincts. It was good for him.”
- 1 Brent Council ordered to apologise and pay wheelchair user £27,000
- 2 'It's heartbreaking': Volunteer slams Mayhew Animal Charity plans
- 3 Review: Masalchi street food restaurant in Wembley Park
- 4 QPR boss Warburton 'stunned' by Carabao Cup exit
- 5 Brent's parks and gardens are big winners of London in Bloom awards
- 6 Brent's community lead offers condolences to murdered sisters' families
- 7 'Unacceptable' failings in Met's handling of missing sisters
- 8 Top Boy actor Bashy returns to Harlesden school to surprise pupils
- 9 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 10 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines