Queens Park Rangers midfielder Massimo Luongo in preliminary Australia squad for Confederations Cup
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Rs man one of 30 players named, but squad to be cut to 23 before tournament starts on June 17
Queens Park Rangers midfielder Massimo Luongo may be set for a summer trip to Russia after being named in the Australia’s preliminary squad for the Confederations Cup.
The 24-year-old, who has 24 caps and five goals for his country, has been named in an initial 30-man squad for the competition, which runs from June 17 to July 2.
However, the Socceroos will have to cut their squad to 23 before the start of the tournament.
Before that deadline, Australia host Saudi Arabia in a World Cup qualifier, in which Luongo could well press his case to remain in the squad for the Confederations Cup.
Should Luongo make the final 23-man squad for the Confederations cup, he will hope to help Ange Postecoglu’s men progress from Group B.
The Socceroos open up against Germany in Sochi on June 19, before facing Cameroon in Saint Petersburg three days later and Chile in Moscow on June 25.
- 1 Victim speaks out after Hampstead machete robbery
- 2 'Predator' acted as masseur to assault women
- 3 Brent tenant 'distressed' at housing waiting list change
- 4 Goalkeeper Dieng nets late equaliser to save QPR at Sunderland
- 5 Man shot in his heart outside Queen's Park flats named
- 6 London among areas where drought is declared
- 7 Coldplay at Wembley Stadium: Setlist and photos
- 8 New Kilburn mural to highlight borough's cultural heritage
- 9 Unarmed boy stabbed to death in his home by group ‘out for blood’, court told
- 10 Man due in court over Wembley murder
QPR club-mate Yeni Ngbakoto, meanwhile, has been called up to the Democratic Republic of Congo squad to face Botswana in a friendly on June 4 and Congo in an Africa Cup of Nations qualifier six days later.