Queens Park Rangers: Massimo Luongo called up to Australia squad
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
QPR midfielder part of Socceroos team to play Syria next month
Queens Park Rangers midfielder Massimo Luongo has been called up to the Australia squad for their World Cup qualifier play-off against Syria next month.
After failing to make it to Russia automatically through the final group stage of the Asian section of qualifying, the Socceroos, who finished third in Group B, must face the Qasioun Eagles, who were third in Group A, over two legs.
Syria will ‘host’ the first leg on October 5, but because of the ongoing conflict in the country, the match will take place at the Hang Jebat Stadium in Krubong, Malaysia.
Five days later, the teams will meet again at Stadium Australia in Sydney.
The winner of the two-legged tie will then go forward to face the side who finish fourth in the final group stage of North American qualifying, which is set to be either Panama, the United States, or Honduras, in November.
Luongo, who made his international debut in 2014, has featured 30 times for his country, scoring five goals.
- 1 Jailed: Brent gangsters who shot a man in his stomach at close range
- 2 Primary school pupils approached by 'man in a van' in attempted abduction
- 3 Man stabbed in Harlesden High Street
- 4 'It's about belief," says QPR boss ahead of Stoke clash
- 5 Cricklewood man appears in court accused of Golders Green rape
- 6 Almost 800 homes to be built next to Wembley Stadium
- 7 Motorcyclist, 34, dies at Staples Corner Flyover
- 8 Harlesden TSB branch faces the axe
- 9 Dogs kill 'much-loved pet' in Brent park attack
- 10 Wembley man, 18, used schoolboy to sell drug-infused sweets