Queens Park Rangers: Jake Bidwell to return for Championship opener against Reading
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
QPR defender missed last weekend’s friendly loss at home to Bournemouth with illness, but has recovered in time to face Royals
Jake Bidwell could return to the Queens Park Rangers defence for the visit of Reading on the opening day of the Championship season after overcoming a recent bout of illness.
The left-back missed last weekend’s 1-0 friendly loss at home to Premier League side Bournemouth after coming down with sickness on Friday night.
Jack Robinson started in place of the former Brentford defender at left wing-back, so it seems likely for Bidwell to regain his spot at the expense of the ex-Liverpool man.
Joel Lynch went off at half-time against the Cherries having also been suffering from illness, but has recovered in time to face the Royals.
You may also want to watch:
Elsewhere, it seems unlikely that QPR will change much from last weekend’s starting XI, with Alex Smithies in goal and James Perch, Nedum Onuoha and Joel Lynch lining up as a back three.
Pawel Wszolek and Bidwell will slot into the full-back roles, while Josh Scowen, Massimo Lunogo and Luke Freeman will link up in the middle of the park, with Matt Smith and Conor Washington in attack.
- 1 QPR 'didn't do enough to win the game' in Peterborough defeat
- 2 Free #BuyBrent app launched with exclusive shop local discounts
- 3 Doctor fears another covid lockdown as vaccine take up 'wanes'
- 4 Derelict land in Kenton transformed by community bio diversity project
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 7 Women have access to free period packs in six Brent locations
- 8 Top Boy actor Bashy returns to Harlesden school to surprise pupils
- 9 Two schoolboys arrested after community officer 'assaulted' in Wembley
- 10 Boys, 14, charged with assaulting community officer
There could be a place on the bench for Steven Caulker, who lasted 70 minutes in a friendly at Billericay Town on Tuesday night – his first appearance for the west Londoners since October last year.
Possible XI: Smithies; Perch, Onuoha, Lynch; Wszolek, Luongo, Scowen, Freeman, Bidwell; Smith, Washington.