Queens Park Rangers: Conor Washington’s World Cup hopes end as Northern Ireland lose play-off with Switzerland
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
QPR midfielder Yeni Ngbakoto also misses out on trip to Russia with DR Congo
Queens Park Rangers forward Conor Washington saw his hopes of playing in next summer’s World Cup end after Northern Ireland were beaten in their play-off against Switzerland.
The Green and White Army were beaten 1-0 in Thursday’s first leg in Belfast, with Ricardo Rodriguez scoring from the spot for the Swiss after controversial penalty as awarded.
Michael O’Neill’s men gave it their all in the second leg in Basel on Sunday, but sadly came up short, meaning Washington and his international colleagues will not be in Russia next summer.
Washington’s QPR team mate Yeni Ngbakoto also saw his hopes of reaching the finals dashed, despite helping DR Congo to a win in their final qualifier.
You may also want to watch:
The Leopards beat Guinea 3-1 in Kinshasa, but with Tunisia drawing 0-0 with Libya in the other game in Group A, it was enough to send the Eagles of Carthage to Russia.
QPR midfielder Massimo Luongo still has a chance of reaching the finals with Australia, who play the second leg of their play-off with Honduras on Wednesday.
- 1 QPR 'didn't do enough to win the game' in Peterborough defeat
- 2 Derelict land in Kenton transformed by community bio diversity project
- 3 Doctor fears another covid lockdown as vaccine take up 'wanes'
- 4 Free #BuyBrent app launched with exclusive shop local discounts
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Women have access to free period packs in six Brent locations
- 7 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 8 Top Boy actor Bashy returns to Harlesden school to surprise pupils
- 9 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 10 Two schoolboys arrested after community officer 'assaulted' in Wembley
The first leg between the sides was played last Friday, when the two teams played out a goalless draw in San Pedro Sula.