Queen’s Park Cafe closes with note left saying ‘variety of reasons’
- Credit: Archant
The Queen’s Park Cafe has now shut after a note appeared on its door at the weekend announcing its closure.
Toby Brown, who has run The Queen’s Park Cafe since last November, suddenly stopped trading on Sunday citing “a variety of reasons”.
City of London Corporation (CoLC), who runs the park, said it will soon start a tendering process to find a “permanent provider” by January next year.
A note stuck inside the cafe door said: “The Management and staff of Queens Park Café thank each of you for your custom over the years. We have enjoyed meeting and serving you.
“Unfortunately for a variety of reasons we have decided that the time has come for us to say goodbye to Queens Park and cease trading, effective Sunday 1st October 2017. Kind regards, Toby Brown & all his team.”
Mr Brown’s lease was due to expire in January, according to a report by CoLC,
Kensal Rise deli Minkies won a contract to run the cafe in March 2016.
- 1 Pensioner dies and bus passengers injured in Wembley collision
- 2 Victim speaks out after Hampstead machete robbery
- 3 'Predator' acted as masseur to assault women
- 4 Man shot in his heart outside Queen's Park flats named
- 5 Brent tenant 'distressed' at housing waiting list change
- 6 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 7 Met Office: Thunderstorm warning issued for London
- 8 Man due in court over Wembley murder
- 9 Harlesden bar's licence suspended following fights and noise
- 10 Unarmed boy stabbed to death in his home by group ‘out for blood’, court told
As the Brent & Kilburn Times reported at the time, Minkies won the contract out of nine companies that placed a bid.
The family run business said they were “going to bring all of our healthy, good quality food and delicious coffee to Queen’s Park”.
However in October the company, which operates in Chamberlayne Road, wrote to CoLC withdrawing its bid.
At the time CoLC officers wrote in their report: “It is disappointing it hasn’t been possible for Minkies to run the café in Queen’s Park as they remain a popular local company. Consequently, the Superintendent is proposing that a new 13 month lease is provided to Toby Brown until 12th January 2018.
“This is to allow sufficient time for an independent consultant to undertake a programme of engagement and consultation with users and non-users of the Queen’s Park café, to inform an Options Appraisal to guide future decisions on the café lease.”
A spokesman for CIL which manages Queen’s Park, said: “The current tenant has notified us that that he wishes to terminate his tenancy at will and has ceased trading from 1 October.
“A tender process for the café will begin shortly and we hope to have a new permanent provider in place by January 2018.
“We are currently investigating interim options to minimise the disruption of the service provided by the café.”