QPR youngsters to be handed first-team chance
Harriman, Doughty and Ehmer will all get an opportunity to shine, promises Hughes
Young trio Michael Harriman, Max Ehmer and Michael Doughty will all be handed first-team opportunities this season, manager Mark Hughes has revealed.
The Rangers youngsters were all heavily involved in the pre-season tour of Asia and, featured again in Saturday’s 1-1 draw with Turkish side Trabzonspor in Germany.
Hughes and the Rangers hierarchy have identified improving the club’s youth policy a priority, and the manager admitted he has been impressed by the progress of all three players.
None of the three are yet 21 years old, allowing them to be included in Hughes’s 25-man squad for the new campaign, and Hughes suggested all will be afforded plenty of chances to impress.
You may also want to watch:
“We want to see young players coming through the ranks because then our fans will have a special affinity to those,” said Hughes.
“I’d like to think we can see more of them throughout the season. They’re young lads and can supplement the 25, so they’re certainly there or thereabouts.”
- 1 Boy, 12, in life-threatening condition after Wembley crash
- 2 Series of sexual assaults reported in Dollis Hill
- 3 Hospitality Day: Your favourite Brent cafe revealed
- 4 Teenager charged over Sven Badzak death in Kilburn
- 5 Man stabbed stranger to death in cemetery as public tried to intervene
- 6 Footage released of Neasden shooting to help catch 'dangerous offender'
- 7 Hospitality Day: Your favourite restaurant... REVEALED
- 8 Mark Warburton insists QPR on right track despite Bristol City defeat
- 9 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 10 'Erratic, violent' man given indefinite hospital order for killing 'friendly' neighbour in Wembley
“They’ve done really well. We took them in fairness just to expose them to the senior group and see how they dealt with it.
“They’ve probably played a lot better than I expected, which is good because it shows that they can step up and when they’ve got good players around them they look good players themselves.”
Follow me on Twitter @QPRTimes.