QPR youngsters edge to win over Northampton to stay unbeaten
Under-18s up to second in the league thanks to Gibbons’ screamer
Jordan Gibbons scored the only goal of the game as QPR Under-18s moved to second in the Football League Youth Alliance South East Conference with a narrow win over Northampton on Saturday.
Gibbons struck on the hour mark to settle a match which the Rs dominated, although they were frustrated in the first half as Northampton defended resolutely.
The goal, when it came, was a superb team move, with the Hoops picking their opponents apart with a string of passes, before Gibbons struck a superb swerving shot from 30 yards which flew into the net.
Youth boss Steve Gallen was delighted with the result, and said his side’s sounds defending laid the foundations for Gibbons’ wonder-goal.
You may also want to watch:
“The goal was excellent, and I have to give a mention to the defenders who kept another clean sheet,” said Gallen. “We have only conceded four goals so far this season, which is really pleasing.”
QPR’s youngsters remain undefeated in the league this season, with five wins and two draws under their belts, while their tally of only four goals conceded is the best in the league.
- 1 Man arrested following shooting in Kingsbury
- 2 Teen charged with killing 21-year-old man in Brent Cross
- 3 Two men charged after police find 'gun, cash and drugs' in Brent Cross flat
- 4 London elections 2021 live: Latest Brent results as they come in
- 5 Wembley attacker draws large knife after being chased by victims
- 6 Stop and search order placed on parts of Brent due to 'gang tensions'
- 7 Residents priced out the area they grew up in
- 8 Brent Cross Shopping Centre stabbing victim named
- 9 Man appears in court charged with the murder of Michael Fadayomi in Willesden
- 10 Man, 40, stabbed to death in Willesden
Their next outing is against mid-table Southend United on Saturday.
“We are solid as a unit and we are getting better.”
Follow Ian Cooper on Twitter @QPRTimes