QPR youngsters edge to win over Northampton to stay unbeaten
Under-18s up to second in the league thanks to Gibbons’ screamer
Jordan Gibbons scored the only goal of the game as QPR Under-18s moved to second in the Football League Youth Alliance South East Conference with a narrow win over Northampton on Saturday.
Gibbons struck on the hour mark to settle a match which the Rs dominated, although they were frustrated in the first half as Northampton defended resolutely.
The goal, when it came, was a superb team move, with the Hoops picking their opponents apart with a string of passes, before Gibbons struck a superb swerving shot from 30 yards which flew into the net.
Youth boss Steve Gallen was delighted with the result, and said his side’s sounds defending laid the foundations for Gibbons’ wonder-goal.
“The goal was excellent, and I have to give a mention to the defenders who kept another clean sheet,” said Gallen. “We have only conceded four goals so far this season, which is really pleasing.”
QPR’s youngsters remain undefeated in the league this season, with five wins and two draws under their belts, while their tally of only four goals conceded is the best in the league.
- 1 QPR looking to strengthen squad in January transfer window
- 2 Wembley: Anger as council 'bullies' opposition over library demolition
- 3 ‘Black girls can game too’: Wembley woman wants to inspire young girls with gaming videos
- 4 New Willesden kebab shop promises 40 jobs to locals
- 5 Guilty: Man killed father who defended son from knife attack in Willesden
- 6 Primary school pupils approached by 'man in a van' in attempted abduction
- 7 Drunk Euro 2020 football fan 'saved from Wembley fall by Brent Council employee'
- 8 Parents lobby for improved road safety on Harrow Road
- 9 Jailed: Brent gangsters who shot a man in his stomach at close range
- 10 Bid for amazing prizes to support Queen's Park and Kensal charities
Their next outing is against mid-table Southend United on Saturday.
“We are solid as a unit and we are getting better.”
Follow Ian Cooper on Twitter @QPRTimes