QPR youngsters edge to win over Northampton to stay unbeaten
Under-18s up to second in the league thanks to Gibbons’ screamer
Jordan Gibbons scored the only goal of the game as QPR Under-18s moved to second in the Football League Youth Alliance South East Conference with a narrow win over Northampton on Saturday.
Gibbons struck on the hour mark to settle a match which the Rs dominated, although they were frustrated in the first half as Northampton defended resolutely.
The goal, when it came, was a superb team move, with the Hoops picking their opponents apart with a string of passes, before Gibbons struck a superb swerving shot from 30 yards which flew into the net.
Youth boss Steve Gallen was delighted with the result, and said his side’s sounds defending laid the foundations for Gibbons’ wonder-goal.
“The goal was excellent, and I have to give a mention to the defenders who kept another clean sheet,” said Gallen. “We have only conceded four goals so far this season, which is really pleasing.”
QPR’s youngsters remain undefeated in the league this season, with five wins and two draws under their belts, while their tally of only four goals conceded is the best in the league.
- 1 Man arrested after woman's rape allegation in Neasden
- 2 Neasden pub refused late licence amid fears around crime
- 3 Rogue Wembley HGV trainer sentenced after selling non-existent training
- 4 Most wanted: 6 people sought in connection with 10 robberies across London
- 5 Road closed after man's death in Willesden
- 6 2 men attacked by group after fight breaks out at Queensbury Tube Station
- 7 Two charged after police discharge taser during Kingsbury vehicle stop
- 8 Plea date set for men accused of fatal stabbing in Neasden
- 9 Former bingo hall in Burnt Oak to become co-working and co-living space
- 10 Wembley school opens new special educational needs facility
Their next outing is against mid-table Southend United on Saturday.
“We are solid as a unit and we are getting better.”
Follow Ian Cooper on Twitter @QPRTimes