QPR youngsters edge to win over Northampton to stay unbeaten
Under-18s up to second in the league thanks to Gibbons’ screamer
Jordan Gibbons scored the only goal of the game as QPR Under-18s moved to second in the Football League Youth Alliance South East Conference with a narrow win over Northampton on Saturday.
Gibbons struck on the hour mark to settle a match which the Rs dominated, although they were frustrated in the first half as Northampton defended resolutely.
The goal, when it came, was a superb team move, with the Hoops picking their opponents apart with a string of passes, before Gibbons struck a superb swerving shot from 30 yards which flew into the net.
Youth boss Steve Gallen was delighted with the result, and said his side’s sounds defending laid the foundations for Gibbons’ wonder-goal.
You may also want to watch:
“The goal was excellent, and I have to give a mention to the defenders who kept another clean sheet,” said Gallen. “We have only conceded four goals so far this season, which is really pleasing.”
QPR’s youngsters remain undefeated in the league this season, with five wins and two draws under their belts, while their tally of only four goals conceded is the best in the league.
- 1 Loaded shotgun seized in Harlesden as police crack down on gang activity
- 2 Vigil held in Barn Hill for murdered sisters Bibaa Henry and Nicole Smallman
- 3 Two men charged with murder in connection with missing pensioner with links to Willesden
- 4 Childhood friends launch their first Their Story Film Festival in Kilburn
- 5 Tributes paid to 'Gooner legend' who died of Covid 'caught at Euros final'
- 6 Missing 12-year-old boy from Kilburn found 'safe and well'
- 7 'Residents are going through hell as a result of flooding'
- 8 8 countries added to UK green travel list
- 9 Landlord faces jail if he tries to evict Kilburn tenants
- 10 Officer's leg broken after e-scooter rider fails to stop, say police
Their next outing is against mid-table Southend United on Saturday.
“We are solid as a unit and we are getting better.”
Follow Ian Cooper on Twitter @QPRTimes