QPR striker ‘open to Crystal Palace return’
- Credit: EMPICS Sport
Rangers striker Andy Johnson would give serious consideration to leaving QPR for former club Crystal Palace should the Eagles table a bid this summer, according to his agent.
Johnson, 32, joined QPR in June last year after he was released by Fulham, but missed most of the season after suffering a cruciate ligament injury in September.
The former Everton man, who has eight senior England caps, is currently in pre-season training with his team-mates in Devon, and is expected to begin the new season in a Hoops shirt.
Johnson became a firm favourite at Selhurst Park, playing for Palace between 2002 and 2006, and the Eagles are understood to have attempted to sign him on loan in January.
And Johnson’s agent, Anthony McFarlane, said Johnson would give careful thought to his future should Rangers receive a bid.
“Obviously Andy still has an affinity for Palace; they’re the club which first gave him a chance,” said McFarlane.
“There has been interest from a number of clubs but as yet I am not aware of any interest from Palace.
- 1 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in north London
- 2 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
- 3 Cricklewood estate reports 'major vermin' problem
- 4 Trial date for men charged with fatal stabbing of Emmanuel Odunlami
- 5 Baby among three rescued from Willesden flat fire
- 6 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 7 'Extremely dangerous' men convicted after girl kidnapped and raped
- 8 'Strictest' headteacher to be documentary subject
- 9 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in north London
- 10 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
“Andy is fully focussed on the season ahead with QPR, but if an offer were to come in, you would have to say he would give it careful thought.”
A Palace move for Johnson may still be unlikely, with the newly-promoted side having last week completed the signing of Peterborough striker Dwight Gayle, and also showing an interest in West Brom’s Peter Odemwingie.
However, Rs manager Harry Redknapp confirmed this week that more players would leave the club ahead of the new season.
DJ Campbell, Jay Bothroyd, Djibril Cisse, Chris Samba, Rob Hulse and Radek Cerny have all moved on, and Redknapp said more would follow. “We need to change things around,” he said. “We’re looking to shift some on and bring in a few new faces.”