QPR striker ‘open to Crystal Palace return’
- Credit: EMPICS Sport
Rangers striker Andy Johnson would give serious consideration to leaving QPR for former club Crystal Palace should the Eagles table a bid this summer, according to his agent.
Johnson, 32, joined QPR in June last year after he was released by Fulham, but missed most of the season after suffering a cruciate ligament injury in September.
The former Everton man, who has eight senior England caps, is currently in pre-season training with his team-mates in Devon, and is expected to begin the new season in a Hoops shirt.
Johnson became a firm favourite at Selhurst Park, playing for Palace between 2002 and 2006, and the Eagles are understood to have attempted to sign him on loan in January.
And Johnson’s agent, Anthony McFarlane, said Johnson would give careful thought to his future should Rangers receive a bid.
You may also want to watch:
“Obviously Andy still has an affinity for Palace; they’re the club which first gave him a chance,” said McFarlane.
“There has been interest from a number of clubs but as yet I am not aware of any interest from Palace.
- 1 Landlord faces jail if he tries to evict Kilburn tenants
- 2 Officer's leg broken after e-scooter rider fails to stop, say police
- 3 New QPR signing Moses Odubajo's story so far
- 4 Diamond thief prepared for £4.2m heist at Cricklewood hotel
- 5 Traffic disruption in Brent from August 2-8
- 6 Head of school attended by Tom Dean, Zadie Smith and Rachel Yankey set to retire
- 7 Teenager jailed for murder of Jamalie Maleek in Northwick Park
- 8 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 9 Petition launched to declare Brent a Right To Food borough
- 10 Drunk and off-duty Met officer sentenced after assaulting man
“Andy is fully focussed on the season ahead with QPR, but if an offer were to come in, you would have to say he would give it careful thought.”
A Palace move for Johnson may still be unlikely, with the newly-promoted side having last week completed the signing of Peterborough striker Dwight Gayle, and also showing an interest in West Brom’s Peter Odemwingie.
However, Rs manager Harry Redknapp confirmed this week that more players would leave the club ahead of the new season.
DJ Campbell, Jay Bothroyd, Djibril Cisse, Chris Samba, Rob Hulse and Radek Cerny have all moved on, and Redknapp said more would follow. “We need to change things around,” he said. “We’re looking to shift some on and bring in a few new faces.”