QPR star: ‘I’ve proved my critics wrong’
Mackie insists he never doubted his ability to deliver in the Premier League
Jamie Mackie feels he has proved his doubters wrong by establishing himself as a key figure in QPR’s fight for Premier League survival.
The Scotland international has scored six times in 34 appearances, including the stunning late winner against Liverpool in late March which set his side on their way to five consecutive home wins.
And Mackie, who was signed from League One side Plymouth Argyle in summer 2010, believes he has emphatically answered those who doubted his ability to play at the top level.
“I was confident in my own ability but I wanted to show people that I could play in this league,” he told London24.com. “The main thing that I wanted to do – and I still want to do – is stay in the Premier League and keep playing teams of this quality.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve had to bide my time and come off the bench for a while, but I got my head down and got myself back in the side.”
Mackie also believes that Djibril Cisse, whose fifth goal in a Hoops shirt against Stoke ensured they head to Manchester with a fighting chance of survival, can become a central figure in the club’s future.
- 1 Residents anger as fourth gambling casino approved in Willesden street
- 2 Fury as Brent's planning committees approves 'another high-rise' hotel in Wembley
- 3 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield
- 4 Brent MP order out of Commons after accusing Prime Minister of lying 'over and over again'
- 5 Petition against LTNs in Cricklewood exceeds 1,000 signatures
- 6 Tokyo Olympics: Brondesbury Park pupils wish swimmer Tom Dean luck
- 7 Wembley: Fan robbed of watch after Euro 2020 final
- 8 Brent motorists hit with 2,633 blue badge penalty notices in 2020
- 9 Traffic disruptions in Brent from July 26 to August 1
- 10 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
“You’re always likely to get a goal when Djibril comes on, he’s a goal threat. He has scored goals in this league before and everywhere he has been,” he added.
“When he gets on the pitch you always feel he’s a great weapon for us. He’s a big player in the club’s future, he’s a real asset.”
Follow me on Twitter @QPRTimes