QPR star: ‘I’ve proved my critics wrong’
Mackie insists he never doubted his ability to deliver in the Premier League
Jamie Mackie feels he has proved his doubters wrong by establishing himself as a key figure in QPR’s fight for Premier League survival.
The Scotland international has scored six times in 34 appearances, including the stunning late winner against Liverpool in late March which set his side on their way to five consecutive home wins.
And Mackie, who was signed from League One side Plymouth Argyle in summer 2010, believes he has emphatically answered those who doubted his ability to play at the top level.
“I was confident in my own ability but I wanted to show people that I could play in this league,” he told London24.com. “The main thing that I wanted to do – and I still want to do – is stay in the Premier League and keep playing teams of this quality.
“I’ve had to bide my time and come off the bench for a while, but I got my head down and got myself back in the side.”
Mackie also believes that Djibril Cisse, whose fifth goal in a Hoops shirt against Stoke ensured they head to Manchester with a fighting chance of survival, can become a central figure in the club’s future.
- 1 Plan for creating 25,500 homes around 'HS2 Superhub' passed
- 2 Former bingo hall in Burnt Oak to become co-working and co-living space
- 3 Wembley school opens new special educational needs facility
- 4 Series of failures sees Met Police placed under special measures
- 5 2 men attacked by group after fight breaks out at Queensbury Tube Station
- 6 Three Met officers receive written warning over photos of murdered sisters
- 7 Two charged after police discharge taser during Kingsbury vehicle stop
- 8 Covid admissions on the rise at north London hospitals
- 9 Most wanted: 6 people sought in connection with 10 robberies across London
- 10 Road closed after man's death in Willesden
“You’re always likely to get a goal when Djibril comes on, he’s a goal threat. He has scored goals in this league before and everywhere he has been,” he added.
“When he gets on the pitch you always feel he’s a great weapon for us. He’s a big player in the club’s future, he’s a real asset.”
Follow me on Twitter @QPRTimes