QPR star handed ‘new start’ by manager Hughes
Wright-Phillips’ impressive pre-season form delights Rangers boss
Shaun Wright-Phillips has been handed a ‘new start’ to his QPR career by manager Mark Hughes.
Wright-Phillips scored his second goal of an impressive pre-season campaign in Rangers’ 3-0 win over Wycombe Wanderers at Adams Park on Tuesday night.
The former Chelsea and Manchester City winger endured a wretched first season in a Hoops shirt, after he was signed by former Rs boss Neil Warnock last summer.
Wright-Phillips failed to score in 34 appearances throughout the campaign, but Hughes has been impressed with the 30-year-old’s response in the build-up to the 2012-13 season.
“We’ve been really pleased with Shaun right through pre-season. He’s been excellent,” said Hughes. He lacked a bit of confidence towards the end of the season and it was difficult for him.
“He was desperate to get on the scoresheet and has scored a couple of goals in pre-season now. He looked sharp again and we’re really please by what he’s producing.
- 1 QPR ground name to revert to Loftus Road for 2022-23
- 2 Trial date for men charged with fatal stabbing of Emmanuel Odunlami
- 3 Cricklewood estate reports 'major vermin' problem
- 4 'Strictest' headteacher to be documentary subject
- 5 Baby among three rescued from Willesden flat fire
- 6 'Extremely dangerous' men convicted after girl kidnapped and raped
- 7 VOTE: Which north London fish and chip shop is your favourite?
- 8 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 9 Police officer sacked after she 'failed' woman murdered by husband
- 10 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
“I’m pleased for him because it’s like a new start for him in my view. It was a stop-start for him last year but now he can really kick on.”
Follow me on Twitter @QPRTimes.