McClaren happy with how QPR are progressing, but knows work lies ahead
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Rs rounded out pre-season with 3-0 win at home to Union Berlin on Saturday
Queens Park Rangers manager Steve McClaren says he is happy with how his side have progressed through pre-season, but knows there is still plenty of work ahead.
McClaren only took over in the summer from Ian Holloway and has been hard at work in recent weeks trying to impose his style on the west Londoners.
The Rs finished their pre-season campaign on Saturday with a 3-0 win at home to German second-tier side Union Berlin thanks to goals from Bright Osayi-Samuel, Matt Smith and Ebere Eze.
The result and display against the Germans would have given QPR a boost ahead of starting the Sky Bet Championship season at Preston North End on Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
McClaren acknowledges it was a pleasing day against Union at the weekend, but knows there is still plenty of work to do before his side are the finished article.
“We’re seeing things that we’ve worked on for five weeks in training. We’ve still got a long way to go,” said the former England manager.
- 1 Top Boy actor Bashy returns to Harlesden school to surprise pupils
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Born and bred Brent residents now priced out of £6.5m homes
- 4 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 5 Queen's Park nursery forced to close following damning Ofsted report
- 6 'They think I'm a cyborg' says maths supremo as Sparx programme gifted to six Brent schools
- 7 15 questions to quiz how well you know Brent
- 8 The Chase's Dark Destroyer makes Covid vaccine film with Brent Council
- 9 QPR determined to remain among Championship front-runners
- 10 Boys, 14, charged with assaulting community officer
“The last few games against Hoffenheim and Union Berlin, who are at different stages in their pre-season campaigns, were difficult tests, but we came through them.
“I think we grew in our performance against Union after the first 10 minutes, which were a little bit sticky.
“I’m exactly where I want to be with this group, but there is a lot of improving still to do.”