QPR make a move for Peterborough’s Mackail-Smith
QPR have tabled a formal offer for Peterborough striker Craig Mackail-Smith.
The Watford-born 27-year-old, who scored 35 goals last season, has been a long-time target for Norwich City and was widely expected to join them this summer.
But Rangers are hoping to persuade Mackail-Smith to join them instead – and the total transfer fee could well surpass the club-record �2.75m paid to Stoke City for Mike Sheron back in 1997.
Mackail-Smith scored in Peterborough’s play-off triumph against Huddersfield on Sunday, which took Posh back to the Championship and justified their determination not to sell him until the season ended.
A Scotland international courtesy of having an Edinburgh-born grandparent, Mackail-Smith played for non-League sides St Albans City and Arlesey Town before attracting the interest of a number of clubs during a three-year spell at Dagenham & Redbridge.
You may also want to watch:
Since joining Peterborough in 2007, he has netted 80 goals in 185 league appearances.
Meanwhile, QPR are still trying to thrash out a deal for Tottenham full-back Kyle Naughton, who they attempted to sign last season before his loan move to Leicester.
- 1 Men jailed after Leon Maxwell gunned down in Queensbury
- 2 Met officer found guilty of assault after grabbing victim when off duty
- 3 Free vaccine walk-in at Central Middlesex Hospital
- 4 The Wembley flats with camper vans on the roof and furniture wearing boots
- 5 Appeal for information after man shot in Stonebridge
- 6 Teenager convicted of murdering Jamalie Deacon Matthew in Northwick Park
- 7 Jailed: Dollis Hill man who had submachine gun, over £200k cash and drugs
- 8 Kensal Rise group 'biggest team' taking on Blenheim Palace Triathlon 2021
- 9 Two arrests after man shot and teenager stabbed in Queen's Park
- 10 Human remains found in Neasden believed to be missing Agnes Akom
Rangers have also been consistently linked with Crystal Palace’s Nathaniel Clyne, who played under Neil Warnock at Selhurst Park.
But Warnock has shown no real interest in signing Clyne since taking over as Rs boss.