QPR exclusive: Cisse calls for cup challenge
French striker believes the Hoops now have strength in depth to mount a trophy bid
Djibril Cisse wants QPR to challenge for a trophy this season.
Rangers’ French striker insists Premier League survival should remain the primary focus for Mark Hughes’s side.
But with six new players arriving at the club over the summer, Cisse insists QPR now have the squad depth to go on a run in one of the domestic cups, and raise the prospect of a place in Europe.
“First we have to stay up again. We have to be realistic and not be greedy. We’re trying to build a great side here so we cannot do things too fast,” Cisse told London24.com.
“But it should be a target to win a trophy as well because it’s a chance to get into Europe. I came here to win trophies and with the squad we have here we are now able to give 100 per cent in every competition.”
QPR’s flamboyant front-man has welcomed the competition for places brought about by the signings of forwards Andy Johnson and Junior Hoilett.
- 1 Baby among three rescued from Willesden flat fire
- 2 'Strictest' headteacher to be documentary subject
- 3 Cricklewood estate reports 'major vermin' problem
- 4 Trial date for men charged with fatal stabbing of Emmanuel Odunlami
- 5 'Extremely dangerous' men convicted after girl kidnapped and raped
- 6 VOTE: Which north London fish and chip shop is your favourite?
- 7 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
- 8 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 9 Call for investment in 'joke' Harlesden park
- 10 Covid: Slight rise in admissions but fewer patients in hospital overall
Johnson’s arrival means Hughes can now call upon five centre-forwards, with Cisse, Johnson, Bobby Zamora, Heidar Helguson and Jay Bothroyd all fighting for starting places up front.
Cisse scored six goals last season after arriving at the club in January, and formed an effective partnership with Zamora which he believes can profit again during the new campaign.
“Me and Bobby play really well together, we suit each other. He likes to hold the ball up so I can run into space,” added Cisse. “I’ve had a good pre-season, scored a couple of goals and it’s gone really well.
“You need to have other players in the squad. I didn’t play many games last season but, when I did play, I played well, and I want to do that again this season. We all know that we have to be on form now.”
Follow me on Twitter @QPRTimes.