QPR close in on Tottenham star
- Credit: EMPICS Sport
Harry Redknapp is confident of completing the signing of Tottenham Hotspur and England midfielder Scott Parker in the coming days.
Parker is surplus to requirements at White Hart Lane, falling down the pecking order after Spurs manager Andre Villas-Boas completed the signings of midfielders Paulinho and Etienne Capoue.
He was left out of Tottenham’s 19-man squad for their final pre-season friendly against Espanyol on Saturday.
And Redknapp, who brought Parker to Tottenham two years ago, sees the 32-year-old as the ideal man to spearhead QPR’s push for an immediate return to the Premier League.
Redknapp has already added Karl Henry and Gary O’Neil to his list of midfield options, but wants to add further new faces before the transfer window closes in early September.
Parker’s salary continues to be an issue, with Rangers reluctant to meet his £70,000 a week wages, but Redknapp remains hopeful a deal can be struck for the former Chelsea and Charlton Athletic man.
Parker has made 49 appearances for Tottenham, but missed the first half of last season with an Achilles injury.
- 1 'London’s smallest bus lane' earns Harrow Council £440,000
- 2 Teenager killed in Stonebridge after collision with a car
- 3 Below-par QPR found a way to win at Coventry says Warburton
- 4 Teenager grabbed and pulled towards car in broad daylight
- 5 Sudbury: Plan for 52 one-bed flats falls through after appeal
- 6 Brent LTN removal set to be financed from 'existing council budgets'
- 7 Women attacked on way home from night out in Wembley
- 8 Residents lose appeal to save Brent leisure centre
- 9 Wembley man who used child to sell drugs due in court
- 10 Adomah's late goal wins it for QPR at Coventry
Redknapp’s pursuit of Parker casts further doubt over the future of Alejandro Faurlin, who remains a target for Rangers’ west London rivals Fulham.