QPR chiefs reject promotion parade offer
Fans will be left disappointed by lack of Championship-winning celebrations
HAMMERSMITH & Fulham Council have confirmed that QPR snubbed the offer of holding a parade to celebration their promotion to the Premier League.
Rangers announced on Wednesday that there would be no parade, citing ‘factors beyond our control’ and the uncertainty generated by the recent FA inquiry into the club’s transfer dealings.
But the council – who hosted a reception at Hammersmith Town Hall following a parade to mark Rangers’ promotion to the Championship in 2004 – say the club rejected a similar proposal this time.
Cllr Greg Smith, cabinet member for residents’ services, said: “The council was very keen on a parade but Queens Park Rangers turned down this opportunity.
You may also want to watch:
“We will, however, be inviting them to a civic reception with the Mayor of the borough.”
Championship runners-up Norwich City held a parade earlier this week and it is extremely rare for a promoted club to decline that kind of public celebration.
- 1 Top Boy actor Bashy returns to Harlesden school to surprise pupils
- 2 Born and bred Brent residents now priced out of £6.5m homes
- 3 Queen's Park nursery forced to close following damning Ofsted report
- 4 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 QPR determined to remain among Championship front-runners
- 7 'LTN’s have been foisted upon us by a council who will not listen to its residents'
- 8 Boys, 14, charged with assaulting community officer
- 9 15 questions to quiz how well you know Brent
- 10 Two schoolboys arrested after community officer 'assaulted' in Wembley
QPR have announced that they plan to hold some kind of alternative celebration after pre-season training begins in July – although that is inevitably likely to clash with many supporters’ holiday plans.
The club acknowledged in a statement: “We know this will be a huge disappointment to our fans, who have been fantastic this season.”