QPR boss explains reluctance to play ‘disappointing’ centre-back
Perone is paying the price for poor early-season performance against Wigan
Bruno Perone’s ‘disappointing’ performance against Wigan earlier in the season is the reason the centre-back has hardly featured for QPR this season, Neil Warnock has revealed.
Brazilian Perone has made just two appearances for the Rs, against Rochdale in the Carling Cup and Wigan in the league, since he signed a one-year deal on a free transfer in the summer.
Franco Di Santo scored twice for the Latics in their 2-0 win over the Rs in August, his second goal deflecting in off Perone.
Perone has been over-looked ever since, with Warnock opting to partner Fitz Hall with Anton Ferdinand at centre-back in Danny Gabbidon’s injury absence, and the Rs boss suggested that first-team appearances may now be few and far between for Perone.
You may also want to watch:
“He’s got to get acclimatised to the English game really, there were certain aspects of his game at Wigan which were disappointing, hence he’s not been involved since,” Warnock told London24. “I thought both the centre-halves could have done better in that match.
“You look at Danny Gabbidon and Anton Ferdinand, and Bruno’s down the pecking order. If he wasn’t, he would have been playing.”
- 1 Human remains found in Neasden believed to be missing Agnes Akom
- 2 Two arrests after man shot and teenager stabbed in Queen's Park
- 3 'Piercing scream' heard night two sisters killed in Kingsbury park
- 4 Jailed: Dollis Hill man who had submachine gun, over £200k cash and drugs
- 5 Boyfriend of murder victim 'fell to knees' at discovering body in Kingsbury
- 6 Photographer seeks people he took pictures of in the early 1990s
- 7 Data shows Delta is fast-becoming Brent's dominant Covid-strain
- 8 Man to appear at Old Bailey charged with murder of missing Agnes Akom
- 9 Teenager killed sisters in 'sacrifice' deal with the devil, court hears
- 10 Wembley business man wins £120,000 National Lottery prize
Meanwhile, Wales international centre-back Gabbidon is likely to miss QPR’s home clash with Blackburn on Saturday.
Gabbidon missed the west London derby against Fulham as he recovers from the knee injury he picked up against Aston Villa.
Follow Ian Cooper on Twitter @QPRTimes