QPR boss explains reluctance to play ‘disappointing’ centre-back
Perone is paying the price for poor early-season performance against Wigan
Bruno Perone’s ‘disappointing’ performance against Wigan earlier in the season is the reason the centre-back has hardly featured for QPR this season, Neil Warnock has revealed.
Brazilian Perone has made just two appearances for the Rs, against Rochdale in the Carling Cup and Wigan in the league, since he signed a one-year deal on a free transfer in the summer.
Franco Di Santo scored twice for the Latics in their 2-0 win over the Rs in August, his second goal deflecting in off Perone.
Perone has been over-looked ever since, with Warnock opting to partner Fitz Hall with Anton Ferdinand at centre-back in Danny Gabbidon’s injury absence, and the Rs boss suggested that first-team appearances may now be few and far between for Perone.
You may also want to watch:
“He’s got to get acclimatised to the English game really, there were certain aspects of his game at Wigan which were disappointing, hence he’s not been involved since,” Warnock told London24. “I thought both the centre-halves could have done better in that match.
“You look at Danny Gabbidon and Anton Ferdinand, and Bruno’s down the pecking order. If he wasn’t, he would have been playing.”
- 1 Wembley landlady slammed with £144,000 fine after illegally renting properties
- 2 Qusai Alomar, 12, dies after collision involving motorcyclist near Wembley
- 3 £20,000 reward to find killer of man gunned down in South Kilburn
- 4 Appeal after woman, 69, allegedly raped in Neasden Recreation Ground
- 5 Neasden businessman left in lurch by HSBC loan programme
- 6 QPR boss Warburton 'savoured' his side's penalty shoot-out win over Everton
- 7 Crowds flock to Queen's Park Book Festival 2021
- 8 Man stabbed stranger to death in cemetery as public tried to intervene
- 9 Boy, 12, in life-threatening condition after Wembley crash
- 10 Series of sexual assaults reported in Dollis Hill
Meanwhile, Wales international centre-back Gabbidon is likely to miss QPR’s home clash with Blackburn on Saturday.
Gabbidon missed the west London derby against Fulham as he recovers from the knee injury he picked up against Aston Villa.
Follow Ian Cooper on Twitter @QPRTimes