QPR 4-2 Rotherham: Tjaronn Chery and Charlie Austin grab doubles as Rangers reign victorious on #StanBowlesDay

Charlie Austin scored two goals for QPR against Rotherham

Charlie Austin scored two goals for QPR against Rotherham - Credit: EMPICS Sport

Tjaronn Chery and Charlie Austin both scored twice as QPR survived a spirited comeback from Rotherham to secure a second successive league win on the day club legend Stan Bowles was honoured at Loftus Road.

Chery scored his first goals in England either side of the break, before Austin’s 63rd minute strike appeared to put the hosts out of sight just past the hour.

But Steve Evans’ men mounted a spirited fightback with Jonson Clarke-Harris and Tom Thorpe both finding the net to ensure a nervy finish in W12, before Austin grabbed his second from the penalty spot in stoppage time to ensure the Rs of all three points.

It was a fitting performance to cap off an emotional day in west London where the game was dedicated to club legend Bowles, who was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s earlier this summer.

Rangers were unchanged from the side which beat Wolves 3-2 in midweek, with Rob Green starting in goal for Rangers despite speculation that he is about to re-sign for former side West Ham.

It was the visitors who threatened early on with Matt Derbyshire’s drilled shot from the edge of the area forcing Green into action.

Rangers’ first opportunity of the game came on 14 minutes with Alejandro Faurlin’s beautiful threaded ball finding Chery in a dangerous position in the box, but Kelle Roos blocked his attempts to go around him as the ball went out for a corner.

Most Read

The visitors wasted a golden opportunity to take the lead on 28 minutes, with Clarke-Harris’s cross from the left just evading the grasp of Derbyshire at the far post.

A drab affair was brought into life when Chery opened the scoring for the hosts three minutes before the break.

James Perch raced down the right wing cutting the ball back for Austin, who laid it off perfectly into the path of the Dutchman, whose rasping left-footed effort gave Roos no chance in the Huddersfield goal.

Rangers had Green to thank again as Lee Frecklington’s shot nearly crept in at the near post after the ball deflected off Grant Hall just before the interval, with the 35-year-old superbly turning the ball out for a corner.

Ramsey’s men started the second half the brighter with Chery grabbing his second of the afternoon on 49 minutes. Massimo Luongo, who again impressed at the heart of the QPR midfield, cut back the ball for the 27-year-old who had the simple task of tapping the ball home into the open net.

Clarke-Harris had a golden opportunity to halve the deficit just minutes later, but he guided a header wide from six yards, a miss that would prove costly for the Millers.

On 63 minutes the game looked out of Rotherham’s reach all together as the Rs made it 3-0. Austin done what he does best, getting himself into a scoring position on the edge of the area, before his shot on goal squirmed under Roos and into the net, who in truth should have done better.

With 18 minutes remaining Rotherham did pull a goal back, as Alejandro Faurlin lost possession of the ball in the middle, with Clarke-Harris capping of a impressive counter attack with a smart left-footed finish beyond Green.

The Millers ensured a nervy finish with Thorpe’s close-range strike making it 3-2 on 88 minutes, but deep into injury-time Austin made no mistake from the spot after substitute Sebastian Polter was fouled, as Rangers secured a second victory in four days and moved up to sixth in the Championship table.

QPR (4-2-3-1): Green; Perch, Onuoha, Hall, Konchesky; Henry, Faurlin (Doughty 76); Chery (Kpekawa 90), Luongo (Polter 82); Phillips; Austin.

Subs not used: Smithies, Hill, Hoilett, Emmanuel-Thomas.