Proposal to install an incinerator in Harlesden is withdrawn at the 11th hour
- Credit: Archant
A decision on whether an incinerator can be installed in Harlesden has been shelved for a second time after the application was removed at the 11th hour.
Clean Power Properties (CPP) proposals for a four chimney “energy recovery centre” in Channel Gate Road was due to be heard by Ealing Council this evening.
The plans sparked fury from residents who launched a campaign claiming it would cause an increase in air pollution and traffic volume in the area.
Campaigners held a number of protests in the last few months including a demonstration on Saturday as planning officers visited the proposed site.
They also made a video (see above) to highlight why they believe the incinerator should not be allowed to go ahead.
The council had initially recommended the plans were approved in August, subject to conditions, even though a report for planning officers by their own regulatory services stated the application should be refused.
But the decision was deferred pending further reports.
- 1 Pensioner dies and bus passengers injured in Wembley collision
- 2 Victim speaks out after Hampstead machete robbery
- 3 'Predator' acted as masseur to assault women
- 4 Man shot in his heart outside Queen's Park flats named
- 5 Brent tenant 'distressed' at housing waiting list change
- 6 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 7 Met Office: Thunderstorm warning issued for London
- 8 Man due in court over Wembley murder
- 9 Unarmed boy stabbed to death in his home by group ‘out for blood’, court told
- 10 Harlesden bar's licence suspended following fights and noise
Ian Britton, from Harlesden Enviromental Action Residents and Traders (HEART), said:“Residents are extremely relieved that Ealing Council are reassessing the application.
“We hope this can put an end to Clean Power’s hopes to have this facility on our doorstep. There is no doubt that it would cause local residents a great deal of harm.”Cllr. Zaffar Van Kalwala, Labour councillor for the Stonebridge ward, said: “I’m delighted that the incinerator application has been withdrawn. This is another victory for local residents.
“The threat of this incinerator has been hanging over local people for too long and it has put a great strain on them. If Clean Power tries again to put an incinerator on the site we will fight them again.
“We will never give up the fight for our community to live in a clean and waste-free environment.”
A spokeswoman for Ealing Council told the Times the application has been removed because of changes to the HS2 proposals which will affect the area.
She added: “The Clean Power Property Ltd and Network Rail application for an energy recovery centre was removed from the planning committee agenda this week as the council is waiting for the GLA to confirm its position on the proposals. The council previously consulted the GLA and following amendments to the energy recovery centre plans, it raised no objection. However, after HS2 revised its plans for this area on October 24 and because of safeguarding of the land for the HS2 project, the council deemed it necessary to re-consult the GLA before taking the energy recovery centre plans to the committee. We will wait for a response from the GLA before reporting back to the committee.”