Preston Road flat fire in Wembley ‘caused by discarded cigarette’

The fire is believed to have been started by a disgarded cigarette (Pic: Twitter@LondonFire)

The fire is believed to have been started by a disgarded cigarette (Pic: Twitter@LondonFire) - Credit: Archant

A discarded cigarette is believed to have caused a fire that completely destroyed a flat and caused a transport meltdown in Wembley.

https://twitter.com/LondonFire/status/764870212273385472

The blaze at the property above shops in Preston Road, also damaged a neighbouring flat and caused extensive damage to the roof.

Due to the flat being yards away from Preston Road train station the Metropolitan Line was partially-suspended causing delays to commuters, in addition the road was closed resulting in disruption for drivers.

Yesterday London Fire Brigade tweeted that the blaze is believed to have been ignited by a discarded cigarette.

One person left the building before fire crews arrived last Tuesday just before 8pm.

Firefighters tackled the blaze with water jets (Pic: Twitter@LFB_Brent)

Firefighters tackled the blaze with water jets (Pic: Twitter@LFB_Brent) - Credit: Archant


You may also want to watch:


A total of 81 firefighters and 12 engines tackled the blaze for more than four hours and some crew members were forced to wear breathing apparatus.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter