Search

Preston Road flat fire in Wembley ‘caused by discarded cigarette’

PUBLISHED: 16:50 15 August 2016 | UPDATED: 16:51 15 August 2016

The fire is believed to have been started by a disgarded cigarette (Pic: Twitter@LondonFire)

The fire is believed to have been started by a disgarded cigarette (Pic: Twitter@LondonFire)

Archant

A discarded cigarette is believed to have caused a fire that completely destroyed a flat and caused a transport meltdown in Wembley.

The blaze at the property above shops in Preston Road, also damaged a neighbouring flat and caused extensive damage to the roof.

Due to the flat being yards away from Preston Road train station the Metropolitan Line was partially-suspended causing delays to commuters, in addition the road was closed resulting in disruption for drivers.

Yesterday London Fire Brigade tweeted that the blaze is believed to have been ignited by a discarded cigarette.

One person left the building before fire crews arrived last Tuesday just before 8pm.

Firefighters tackled the blaze with water jets  (Pic: Twitter@LFB_Brent)Firefighters tackled the blaze with water jets (Pic: Twitter@LFB_Brent)

A total of 81 firefighters and 12 engines tackled the blaze for more than four hours and some crew members were forced to wear breathing apparatus.

Most Read

Latest from the Kilburn Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists