Pressure mounts of QPR boss Redknapp as United secure victory at Loftus Road
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
QPR boss Harry Redknapp may well be picking up his P45 soon as his side went down 2-0 at home against Manchester United.
Substitutes Marouane Fellaini and James Wilson secured the win for United with two second half goals.
The defeat is the first at Loftus Road since October but Rangers are now five games without a win.
United started the better of the two teams and on nine minutes Michael Carrick fired in a shot from outside the box which was comfortbaly dealt with by Rob Green.
Colombian striker Falcao should have given United the lead on 13 minutes when he found space inside the six-yard box, after bringing the ball down he hit his shot straight at Green, who was back on his feet quickly to turn away Falcao’s follow up effort away for a corner.
You may also want to watch:
On 18 minutes Eduardo Vargas got on the end of Bobby Zamora’s flick on but failed to hit the target as he attempted to lob de Gea.
Charlie Austin was put through on goal and his half volley was pushed away by the United keeper.
- 1 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 2 Two schoolboys arrested after community officer 'assaulted' in Wembley
- 3 Top Boy actor Bashy returns to Harlesden school to surprise pupils
- 4 'They think I'm a cyborg' says maths supremo as Sparx programme gifted to six Brent schools
- 5 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 6 Born and bred Brent residents now priced out of £6.5m homes
- 7 15 questions to quiz how well you know Brent
- 8 The Chase's Dark Destroyer makes Covid vaccine film with Brent Council
- 9 Queen's Park nursery forced to close following damning Ofsted report
- 10 Boys, 14, charged with assaulting community officer
On the half hour mark a stunning half volley from Charlie Austin was superbly tipped over the bar by the impressive de Gea.
Steven Caulker replaced the injured Richard Dunne at the start of the second half and the visitors sent on Marouane Fellaini for Juan Mata.
On 51 minutes Leroy Fer got on the end of a Barton free kick from wide on the right but failed to hit the target when well placed.
United should have gone ahead 10 minutes into the second half when Angel Di Maria picked out Falcaoat the back post but his header was pushed away by Green.
But United didn’t have to wait long to grab their opener with Fellaini smashing the ball into the top corner from 10-yards after an excellent pull back from Antonio Valencia who got in behind Fer.
Vargas fired in a half volley from distance as the home side tried to get back into the game.
QPR boss Harry Redknapp sent on Adel Taarabt for Fer in the hope of sparking a comeback. The playmaker was quickly into the action, slipping in Austin but the striker hit a poor effort off for a throw-in.
Niko Kranjcar was then sent on replacing Zamora, with Taarabt switching position to play just off Austin.
Rangers’ attempts to draw level were thwarted by a United defence who stood firm with de Gea pulling off a fine save to deny Mauricio Isla on the 90 minute mark.
As the home side continued to push on they were caught on the break with Wilson finishing well to wrap up a 2-0 win.