Portuguese community celebrating after winning Euro 2012 match and two prizes in Harlesden awards
O’Tamariz Portuguese shop and caf� wins Top Food and Top Caf� categories
A Portuguese family are celebrating after their business scooped two prizes in the Harlesden Top Shop Awards.
The Cardosos, who run O’Tamariz Portuguese shop and caf� in Manor Park Road, Harlesden, won the accolades for both Top Food and Top Caf�.
As compatriot residents spilled out onto the streets of Harlesden to celebrate their nation’s 2-1 win over Holland, Amandio Cardoso, who has run the caf� for the past four years, was presented with his prize certificates.
As well as traditional Portuguese food, the caf� is gaining a reputation for its fine range of fresh cakes.
The other winners were Sparks, which scooped the non-food category and Zak’s Shoe Service, in Craven Park, which won best service.
Residents and businesses voted Curry at the Misty Moon, the best new business to open in 2011 while Oakstock Market, held upstairs in the Royal Oak Pub, was judged as having made the best contribution to the neighbourhood.
- 1 'Extremely dangerous' men convicted after girl kidnapped and raped
- 2 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 3 'Strictest' headteacher to be documentary subject
- 4 Second man charged with fatal stabbing of Emmanuel Odunlami
- 5 Police officer sacked after she 'failed' woman murdered by husband
- 6 Thunderstorms to hit London this evening warns Met Office
- 7 Jailed: 7 north London offenders put behind bars in April
- 8 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 9 Report shows how much councils spend on electric vehicle chargers
- 10 ‘Hello, Wembley’: New stage launch kicks off summer of live music
Nathalie Monnot, who helped organise the awards on behalf of Harlesden Town Team, was delighted with the people gave to their favourites shops.
She said: “I want to thank the hundreds of residents who voted online on the Harlesden Town Team website.
“These results are the real opinions of Harlesden’s shoppers.”
The awards were handed out at the Love Harlesden event on Sunday which was organised by the Harlesden Town Team. Held in the Salvation Army Hall, in Manor Park Road, hundreds of people enjoyed a day of entertainment, stalls and food from around the world.
Highlights included performances from pupils of John Keble School which is Crownhill Road, Harlesden, music from a Brazilian choir and the premiere of a short documentary made by pupils of Newman Catholic College in Harlesden Road.
To find out more about Harlesden Town Team visit http://harlesdentownteam.org.
Click on the photo gallery at the top right to see more pictures of the event.