Second chance for Wembley bar where 'a drinker openly snorted cocaine and 50 revellers took part in mass brawl'
PUBLISHED: 16:10 20 August 2015 | UPDATED: 18:12 20 August 2015
A bar in Wembley where 50 revellers took part in a mass brawl and another openly snorted cocaine in its beer garden has managed to keep its current opening hours.
Police had requested Moonbay bar and restaurant on East Lane, had it licensing hours slashed and its manager Jagdish Devshi be sacked claiming the venue had a “long history of crime and disorder” stretching over a five-year period.
Officers also wanted the bar to be forced to introduce stricter anti-drug measures.
In documents sent to Brent Council, officers highlighted a catalogue of incidents dating back to 2010 when they claim Mr Devshi failed to control drunken customers, failed to take adequate measures to prevent hard drugs use and ignored after hours noise disturbance on his premises.
They claimed when they carried out two spot checks inside the venue, which is popular with the Indian community, they found evidence of cocaine use in the toilets and a man was arrested for openly taking the class A drug in the bar’s beer garden.
On that occasion, the officer claims Mr Devshi told him “he knew the man and had ‘no problem at all’ with him being in his beer garden”.
In one incident in January last year police were called to a fight involving 50 people who were “smashing up the pub”.
On their arrival they found “blood, smashed glass and beer all over the floor”.
Police had wanted its opening hours changed to 10am to 11pm all week instead of its current times of 10am to Midnight on Sunday to Thursday and 10 am to 1am on Fridays and Saturdays.
Shiva Sivashankar, Mr Devshi’s lawyer, said he was awaiting notification from Brent Council as to any changes to be made to the conditions of the premises licence.
Once the council’s final decision has been received the owners have 21 days to appeal the outcome.