Police cleared by watchdog after handcuffed photographer jumps to his death in Kilburn

Tobias Terpilowski-Gill (Pic credit: Facebook)

Tobias Terpilowski-Gill (Pic credit: Facebook) - Credit: Archant

Police have been cleared of any wrongdoing by an independent watchdog after a photographer jumped to his death in Kilburn after being handcuffed by officers while high on drugs.

Mr Terpilowski-Gill fell from a balcony at Ryde House (Pic credit: Google streetview)

Mr Terpilowski-Gill fell from a balcony at Ryde House (Pic credit: Google streetview) - Credit: Archant

However, the Met have agreed to review their training in relation to warnings on police records following an investigation by the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) into the death of Tobias Terpilowski-Gill.

The probe found officers were unaware Mr Terpilowski-Gill had threatened to kill himself previously on two occasions where police were involved so they could not have predicted his actions when they were called to Ryde House in Priory Park Road.

The investigation found the officers had used the powers available to them appropriately and demonstrated sound decision-making at the time.

An inquest last month heard the 26-year-old was suicidal and under the influence of cocaine, alcohol and prescription drugs when his girlfriend Jessica Knight called the police on December 21 last year saying he was having ‘a manic episode’ and was ‘trying to hurt himself’.

Officers placed him in handcuffs and while arrangements were being made to take him to hospital he jumped.

He died from head injuries two days later.

Most Read

As part of the IPCC probe it discovered that Mr Terpilowski-Gill has been arrested for being drunk and disorderly in South Yorkshire in May last year.

While he was in custody he told an officer he had suicidal tendencies and had previously tried to take his own life.

Shortly after he was released he slashed his arms at his address and was admitted to hospital.

The report also started 11 days before Mr Terpilowski-Gill leapt to his death he had been taken to hospital following a self-harm episode in which he threatened to take his own life.

The IPCC found opportunities to add warning markers about Mr Terpilowski-Gill previous contact with police were missed so officers were unaware of his mental state when they were called out on that fateful evening.

It has recommended that both police services review their training in relation to warning markers on police records.

The Met has agreed with the recommendation and is currently undertaking a review.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter