Plans are finally in for Kilburn market development
Traders say the new development should help brighten up a neglected part of the high road
LONG-AWAITED plans for the redevelopment of the ‘neglected’ Kilburn Square market have finally been revealed.
The site, which is on the corner of Kilburn High Road and Brondesbury Road, will involve knocking down both buildings on the site and replacing them with two-story glass structures.
The plans submitted to the council also include details of a ‘flat green roof’ on the buildings, glass doors and illuminated seating.
The development will be a mix of shops and 18 flats and the large car park underneath will be retained with space for 102 cars, an extra three disabled bays and 20 new cycle spaces.
You may also want to watch:
Anis Kapadia of the Kilburn Business Friends said: “At the moment Kilburn Square is an eyesore. Over the last couple of years it has been really neglected and it actually bring the image of Kilburn High Road down.
“Any development on that area would be a good thing – if it brings new shops and variety to the high street that’s just what we want – to give customers more of a choice.
- 1 Man arrested following shooting in Kingsbury
- 2 Teen charged with killing 21-year-old man in Brent Cross
- 3 Two men charged after police find 'gun, cash and drugs' in Brent Cross flat
- 4 London elections 2021 live: Latest Brent results as they come in
- 5 Wembley attacker draws large knife after being chased by victims
- 6 Stop and search order placed on parts of Brent due to 'gang tensions'
- 7 Residents priced out the area they grew up in
- 8 Man appears in court charged with the murder of Michael Fadayomi in Willesden
- 9 Brent Cross Shopping Centre stabbing victim named
- 10 Man, 40, stabbed to death in Willesden
“Hopefully the development will also brighten up the High Road a little bit.”
Cllr Mary Arnold (Lab: Kilburn ward) said: “It is high time the market was modernised and this is a great opportunity for transforming the retail outlets around Kilburn Square.
“I think there is something special about markets - everybody likes a market and I think local people would like one that they can be really proud of. The market is the focal point, the jewel in the crown for Kilburn High Road.
“If we smarten up the market it will bring in more jobs, more retailers, and more shoppers and businesses to the Kilburn High Road – and this is what everyone wants in the area.
Submitted to Brent Council before Christmas the accompanying documents uploaded last week reveal big changes on the horizon.
As well as a big visual change the development is also promising to bring some much need job opportunities with the developers estimating the number of full time employees at the new Kilburn Square doubling to 94 from the current 50.
The new development is being undertaken by Sandpiper Securities a London-based development company and should be completed by the end of 2012 if the planning application is successful.