Photo gallery: Chalkhill Park in Wembley is officially opened
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds basked in the sun and enjoyed the launch ceremony
Hundreds of residents came together this weekend to celebrate the official opening of a brand new park in Wembley.
The sun shone as crowds enjoyed an opening ceremony and carnival to celebrate Chalkhill Park and welcome it into the community.
The park, in the shadow of Wembley Stadium, has been in the pipeline for a number of years and will serve the Chalkhill Estate.
A variety of acts performed for residents including Chalkhill based veterans’ exercise group the Raunchy Rockers and a Bollywood dance troupe from Chalkhill Primiary School.
You may also want to watch:
Mayor of Brent, Cllr Bobby Thomas also gave a speech during the opening on Saturday, June 8.
The park, which has been unofficially open since last month, features a children’s play area, playing field, seated and picnic area and an outdoor auditorium.
- 1 Jailed: Dollis Hill man who had submachine gun, over £200k cash and drugs
- 2 Boyfriend of murder victim 'fell to knees' at discovering body in Kingsbury
- 3 Football fan in serious condition after falling from Wembley stand
- 4 Data shows Delta is fast-becoming Brent's dominant Covid-strain
- 5 Brent Chinese gets green light for alcohol delivery despite concerns
- 6 Man accused of sisters' double murder was 'confused' upon arrest
- 7 Two arrests after man shot and teenager stabbed in Queen's Park
- 8 Euro 2020: Dykes loses opener as Niko Hamalainen seals win with Finland
- 9 Man arrested after Harlesden stabbing
- 10 Wembley business man wins £120,000 National Lottery prize
Last week the Times teamed up with pupils from Chalkhill Primary School, who created news articles for us on the park and the benefits it will bring to the community.
Cllr Michael Pavey, a Barnhill ward councillor, which the estate falls under, said: “Saturday was a very special day. The new Chalkhill Park is absolutely fantastic and the Opening was a wonderful day of unity and fun. These are tough times, but this beautiful new park gives us something to really celebrate and to be proud of.”
The opening of the park completes a transformation of the once notorious estate which has undergone extensive regeneration in recent years.
Cllr Thomas said: “I have watched as the old Chalkhill was demolished and the new estate emerged and a new, vibrant community developed.
“Many residents contributed to the design of the park and we hope that will mean there is something here for everyone.
“The people, and particularly the children of Chalkhill have waited a long time for this day, but I am sure everyone will agree that this lovely park was well worth waiting for.”
Click on the photo gallery on the right to see more pictures.