AROUND half a million pounds worth of parking tickets were incorrectly handed out to drivers in the borough, the Times can reveal. For the financial year 2008/09 a staggering 15,533 Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs) were cancelled due to an error or through
AROUND half a million pounds worth of parking tickets were incorrectly handed out to drivers in the borough, the Times can reveal.
For the financial year 2008/09 a staggering 15,533 Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs) were cancelled due to an error or through a challenge from a driver.
One politician is now demanding an overhaul of parking policy in Brent after deriding it as 'confusing' and accusing it of 'conning' residents.
Cllr Muhammed Butt, Labour deputy leader, said: "Our Lib Dem council has collected �11 million fines from the hard pressed residents of Brent, thanks to them increasing charges at car parks, if you can find a space, and from parking permits and parking tickets.
You may also want to watch:
"Not forgetting that they installed new meters that take credit cards and text messages for payment, what happened to paying things for cash?
"There is confusion everyday now, thanks to all the different times for the Controlled Parking Zones (CPZs), the confusion caused on event days and not forgetting the impact on the local businesses, which are losing out and our Lib Dem council has not got a clue how to help them.
- 1 Residents anger as fourth gambling casino approved in Willesden street
- 2 Fury as Brent's planning committees approves 'another high-rise' hotel in Wembley
- 3 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield
- 4 Brent MP order out of Commons after accusing Prime Minister of lying 'over and over again'
- 5 Petition against LTNs in Cricklewood exceeds 1,000 signatures
- 6 Tokyo Olympics: Brondesbury Park pupils wish swimmer Tom Dean luck
- 7 Wembley: Fan robbed of watch after Euro 2020 final
- 8 Brent motorists hit with 2,633 blue badge penalty notices in 2020
- 9 Traffic disruptions in Brent from July 26 to August 1
- 10 Summer in the City: Five things to do in Brent this weekend
"The CPZs are causing much confusion as there are streets where you can park after 6.30pm and other streets after 9.30pm, there is no uniformity or clarity, that needs to be resolved.
"The worst thing has to be the 15,500 tickets that were wrongly issued or won at appeal, that equates to about thousands that our council would have conned from my constituents.
"They are turning our law abiding citizens into feeling like criminals and out of pocket due to their incompetence."
Cllr Daniel Brown, Liberal Democrat member for highways and transportation said most CPZs were introduced before his party got into power and hours of operation were determined by consultations.
Cllr Brown said: "Unfortunately, when you have human beings doing a job, mistakes sometimes happen.
"The important thing is that residents have a right of appeal if they feel they have been unfairly treated with a parking ticket.
"The contract we have with our parking operator means that they are liable for mistakes and so Brent's tax payers do not have to bear the cost of this."
Cllr Butt is calling for people who have had a problem with parking in any part of the borough to email him at cllr.muhammed.butt@brent. gov.uk