Owner of shisha bar in Willesden fined for breaching the smoking ban
- Credit: Archant
The owner of a shisha café in Willesden has been fined for allowing customers to breach the smoking ban.
Willesden Magistrates’ Court heard Tariq Walid Alhamzawy, director of Arabian Night Moon Light in High Road, had received an earlier warning after a spot check by officers from Brent’s consumer and business protection team found customers smoking shish pipes in an enclosed area of the premises.
In January this year, a second unexpected visit to the café uncovered the same problem so he was hauled before the courts.
Alhamzawy claimed that the business was closed at the time and he was smoking with family members but photographs taken by the officers on the day of the inspection showed that the premises were fully lit and open for business.
He was fined a total of £1,000 and ordered to pay £2,955 in prosecution costs to Brent Council.
Bill Bilon, Brent’s head of consumer and business protection, said: “Owners of shisha shops, pubs and clubs that allow smoking on their premises should ensure that they are familiar with the legislation and make the necessary arrangements to comply with the law.
“Officers from the consumer and business protection team routinely make late night visits to commercial premises and anyone caught smoking, as well those who permit smoking, can be served with a fixed penalty notice or prosecuted if we discover that smoke-free regulations have been breached.”
- 1 Ricky Gervais behind new benches for people grieving to 'talk and reflect'
- 2 Women attacked on way home from night out in Wembley
- 3 Brent scheme helping people with disabilities after Covid
- 4 HS2: Government hails 'incredible momentum' as Old Oak Common work continues
- 5 North London road and rail disruptions in the week ahead
- 6 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 7 West Hampstead and Kilburn up first for new team to battle fly-tipping
- 8 'Grandfather of Kensal Rise': Barber Gee Artrey dies at 86
- 9 Wembley man who used child to sell drugs due in court
- 10 Four adults and child rescued from roof as blaze destroys flat