Ousted Lib Dem councillor blames Nick Clegg for party’s poor results in Brent
- Credit: Archant
A long-standing Lib Dem councillor who lost has seat today has blamed Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg for their failings at the Brent local elections.
With the Lib Dems failing to gain a single seat in 17 wards so far Mark Cummins, who lost his Brondesbury Park seat to the Conservatives, has pointing the finger at Mr Clegg blaming his controversial U-turn on university fees.
He said: “People were not voting for us because of Nick Clegg and the whole university debacle.
“It appears that the voters have looked at central government when voting. We knew it will be a battle but we didn’t really expect this.”
He continued: “The tide was against us but we will come back fighting.
You may also want to watch:
“Our expansive knowledge of the borough will not be available to them [voters] anymore, but Brent residents have had their say. Who are we to judge?” Lib Dem have lost seats in Alperton, Queen’s Park, Willesden Green and Brondesbury Park.
The results in Dollis Hill, Sudbury and Mapesbury wards, where the party holds seats are due in the next hour.
- 1 Top Boy actor Bashy returns to Harlesden school to surprise pupils
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Born and bred Brent residents now priced out of £6.5m homes
- 4 Queen's Park nursery forced to close following damning Ofsted report
- 5 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 6 15 questions to quiz how well you know Brent
- 7 'They think I'm a cyborg' says maths supremo as Sparx programme gifted to six Brent schools
- 8 QPR determined to remain among Championship front-runners
- 9 'LTN’s have been foisted upon us by a council who will not listen to its residents'
- 10 Boys, 14, charged with assaulting community officer