Nick Jonas visits young cerebral palsy sufferer from Kilburn following operation success
- Credit: Archant
American pop star Nick Jonas paid a surprise visit to see a four-year-old girl from Kilburn who had a life-changing operation.
Bailey Walters-Lawrence, of Gorfield Place, who suffers from cerebral palsy, underwent Selective Dorsal Rhizotomy (SDR) treatment at Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH) last Friday after the community raised the £30,000 needed for the procedure.
She woke up from the operation to find the 23-year-old, who is known for being a member of the Jonas Brothers, at her bedside.
Her mother Mel was told the NHS were unable to fund the operation, that will help her to walk, and after the Times highlighted her plight in February, money poured in through the #Baileyswish campaign that included a series of fundraising events and a dedicated donation webpage.
She said: “Bailey’s operation went really well. Nick was visiting the ward and it was lovely that he stopped at her bed.
You may also want to watch:
“Bailey’s physiotherapy progress is outstanding as she’s been very focused.
“I am so proud of her and I must thank everyone who has helped us get this far.”
- 1 Derelict land in Kenton transformed by community bio diversity project
- 2 Doctor fears another covid lockdown as vaccine take up 'wanes'
- 3 Women have access to free period packs in six Brent locations
- 4 Free #BuyBrent app launched with exclusive shop local discounts
- 5 QPR 'didn't do enough to win the game' in Peterborough defeat
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 8 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 9 Two schoolboys arrested after community officer 'assaulted' in Wembley
- 10 'Universal credit cut is the worst possible decision at the worst possible time'
Ms Walters-Lawrence must now find another £15,000 to pay for her daughter’s aftercare, which includes her physiotherapy session, and so far she has managed to raise £5,000.
To make a donation visit justgiving.com/fundraising/Baileyswish.