‘New sighting’ of Wembley woman before her body was found in Scotland

PUBLISHED: 15:25 29 June 2016 | UPDATED: 11:18 01 July 2016

Saima Ahmed was last seen on August 30 last year

Saima Ahmed was last seen on August 30 last year


An unconfirmed sighting of a Wembley woman before her body was found in Scotland has come to light following a police appeal.

CCTV footage of Ms Ahmed at Wembley Central train stationCCTV footage of Ms Ahmed at Wembley Central train station

Saima Ahmed, of Oakington Manor Drive, was last seen on August 30 last year and reported as missing by her family the following day.

Her remains were found in the Gogar area of Edinburgh in Scotland on January 9.

Her death is being treated as unexplained and police are investigating why the 36-year-old divorcée travelled to Scotland and the circumstances that led to her death.

Today it has been revealed that a witness has come forward saying they spoke to a woman at Portobello beach some time in late August, possibly on August 31.

Ms Ahmed’s last movements

8.30am - Ms Ahmed leaves her home in Oakington Manor Drive.

9.57am - She is captured on CCTV alone in High Road, Wembley.

10.00am - She is believed to have withdrawn money from her Natwest account at the ATM outside the branch in High Road, Wembley.

10.08am - captured on CCTV alone entering Wembley Central Railway Station

10.18am - She is seen boarding a London Overground service bound for Watford Junction at Wembley Central station. She appears to have been alone.

11.06am - believed, but not confirmed, to have boarded a train bound for Northampton.

The claimed she closely matches Ms Ahmed’s description and was walking alone at around 10.30am on a Monday, although the exact date is unknown.

Detective Chief Inspector Martin MacLean, who is leading the investigation, said: “Saima’s death remains unexplained, and, at this time, whilst there is nothing to suggest any criminality, we need to keep an open mind and strive to find the answers to many questions that remain for Saima’s family.”

Ms Ahmed was captured on CCTV entering Wembley Central station on her own before boarding a London Overground service to Watford Junction on August 30.

Her exact movements afterwards are not definite but officers believe she travelled to Hemel Hempstead, Birmingham and then onto Edinburgh.

DCI MacLean said: “My team’s investigations have uncovered new evidence that appears to help narrow down Saima’s arrival time into Edinburgh although admittedly we cannot be sure which train she boarded.

“We also cannot discount the possibility that once in Edinburgh she travelled to the beachfront at Portobello and I would be very interested to hear from anyone who might have seen her in that area.

“Given that she is not from the area it is likely that she would have relied on public transport in order to get around the city and as such I would urge regular users of buses or trams, including drivers of course, to think back and get in touch with police if you have any relevant information.

“We continue to be in close contact with the Ahmed family and I would like to take this opportunity to thank them for their ongoing cooperation and patience.”

The Independent Police Complaints Commission are currently investigating how officers dealt with her disappearance after her family claimed police failed to trawl through CCTV images despite their pleas.

They claim they were the ones who obtained footage of her entering. Wembley Central station on the day she went missing.

Anyone with information about Ms Ahmed’s disappearance should contact Edinburgh CID on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Related articles

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Kilburn Times