New chapter for Friends of Barham Library’s volunteer branch in Sudbury
- Credit: Archant
National Library Day will mark a new chapter for a reading room in Sudbury as it will open its doors on a Saturday.
Friends of Barham Library (FOBL) will start the weekend service at their volunteer library located at Sudbury Town Underground Station in Station Approach, Sudbury, from February 8.
The library is currently open on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays and offers various activities for residents including a chess club for young people, English conversation classes and a book club for adults.
On Saturdays the library will also offer storytelling and book reading activities from 11am to 2pm.
To mark the changes, FOBL are putting out a special programme of poetry and storytelling and to celebrate National Library Day they will also give away free books to the first 25 visitors on the day.
You may also want to watch:
FOBL was established in 2011 after Brent Council closed Barham, Cricklewood, Kensal Rise, Preston, Neasden and Tokyngton libraries to save £1million
Cllr Paul Lorber, FOBL member and leader of the Brent Liberal Democrats, said: “There is a growing demand for our library service and we are delighted to be expanding our opening times at Sudbury Town.
- 1 Top Boy actor Bashy returns to Harlesden school to surprise pupils
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Born and bred Brent residents now priced out of £6.5m homes
- 4 Queen's Park nursery forced to close following damning Ofsted report
- 5 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 6 15 questions to quiz how well you know Brent
- 7 'They think I'm a cyborg' says maths supremo as Sparx programme gifted to six Brent schools
- 8 QPR determined to remain among Championship front-runners
- 9 'LTN’s have been foisted upon us by a council who will not listen to its residents'
- 10 Boys, 14, charged with assaulting community officer
“As expected the majority of our users are young people who lost out when Labour closed Barham Library.
“Our chess club for young people is especially popular and we had 10 young players playing last Thursday.
“There is also a growing demand for English conversation classes as there are many people living in Sudbury Wembley and Alperton keen to improve their English.”.
FOBL also run a volunteer library from at 428 High Road, Wembley, near Argos.
It is open on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays from 12 to 5pm.