Neighbour saves lives of elderly couple in Harlesden house fire
- Credit: Archant
This is the devastating results of a fire in Harlesden this morning where an elderly couple escaped with their lives thanks to a neighbour.
A fire had started in a cupboard under the stairs of the couple’s home in Crownhill Road but they were unaware as the battery had been removed from their smoke alarm.
However when the smoke wafted next door it triggered of their neighbour’s smoke alarm who made the life-saving call alerting the couple.
Fire crews were called to the scene just before 3am and the pair were treated for smoke inhalation in hospital.
The ground floor of their home was damaged by the fire.
You may also want to watch:
Andy Allen, Willesden fire station’s watch manager who was at the scene, said: “When we arrived, the elderly couple were still in the house, which was completely filled with smoke. The pair were incredibly lucky because had it not been for their neighbour’s smoke alarm going off, this could have had tragic consequences.
“It’s useless having a smoke alarm without a working battery so I’d urge everyone to make sure they have at least one smoke alarm on each floor and test it regularly.”
- 1 Top Boy actor Bashy returns to Harlesden school to surprise pupils
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Born and bred Brent residents now priced out of £6.5m homes
- 4 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 5 Queen's Park nursery forced to close following damning Ofsted report
- 6 'They think I'm a cyborg' says maths supremo as Sparx programme gifted to six Brent schools
- 7 15 questions to quiz how well you know Brent
- 8 The Chase's Dark Destroyer makes Covid vaccine film with Brent Council
- 9 QPR determined to remain among Championship front-runners
- 10 Boys, 14, charged with assaulting community officer