Search

Neighbour saves lives of elderly couple in Harlesden house fire

PUBLISHED: 11:03 28 February 2014 | UPDATED: 11:06 28 February 2014

An eldrly couple had a lucky escape after a fire started in this cupboard under the stairs (Pic credit: LFB)

An eldrly couple had a lucky escape after a fire started in this cupboard under the stairs (Pic credit: LFB)

Archant

This is the devastating results of a fire in Harlesden this morning where an elderly couple escaped with their lives thanks to a neighbour.

A fire had started in a cupboard under the stairs of the couple’s home in Crownhill Road but they were unaware as the battery had been removed from their smoke alarm.

However when the smoke wafted next door it triggered of their neighbour’s smoke alarm who made the life-saving call alerting the couple.

Fire crews were called to the scene just before 3am and the pair were treated for smoke inhalation in hospital.

The ground floor of their home was damaged by the fire.

Andy Allen, Willesden fire station’s watch manager who was at the scene, said: “When we arrived, the elderly couple were still in the house, which was completely filled with smoke. The pair were incredibly lucky because had it not been for their neighbour’s smoke alarm going off, this could have had tragic consequences.

“It’s useless having a smoke alarm without a working battery so I’d urge everyone to make sure they have at least one smoke alarm on each floor and test it regularly.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Kilburn Times